Hot and dry holiday destination.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#121 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Dresden is always worth a little time,
Was it you who was recommending Wroclaw a while back? - thats a cool happnin' kinda place.

Whats those lakes and stuff south of Gdansk?

There's always szlena gora - cant remember the spelling.....after Dresden on the way to Gdansk.

You mentioned Denmark. I love the place, the peeps and a certain young woman who,,,, another time,

Look, from Schipol nearlyvanywhere is within easy reach.... Trieste, Istanbul, Odessa, they're all wonderful, but then, I think you know that ;----------)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#122 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by jack »

Dresden is odd - the damage from ww2 is very obvious - parts seem like sets from the third man...

The drive from Dresden to Prague us pretty neat, apart from the bit where there's the roadside brothel and the giant fibreglass garden gnomes...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#123 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Silly boy! But then in Vienna there's only that doorway where, finally we get to see Harry Lyme,

Otoh, I havent been to Bratislava and that really is a stone's throw (from Vienna) and well worth a visit, I'm told.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Michael L
Old Hand

#124 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

Some interesting links there Ray. That town looks good and I would like to see the steam engines.
Dresden looks very impressive and not that far from Wroclaw where we visited previously.
Andrew, do you know any good places to visit in Schlegwick Holstein? I remember being told it was good for cycling.
We would rather travel by train. Actually Gdansk is a very good hub for flights.
My son will be visiting Odessa with his part Ukranian girlfriend in July. I asked him to stay well away from any dodgy areas of the country.
I/ve never been to the Ukraine.

Oh yes Andrew, we have spent a lot of time at the lakes south of Gdansk and also to the east. Very pleasant for a swim.
Michael L
Old Hand

#125 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

jack wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 pm Dresden is odd - the damage from ww2 is very obvious - parts seem like sets from the third man...

The drive from Dresden to Prague us pretty neat, apart from the bit where there's the roadside brothel and the giant fibreglass garden gnomes...
Nick I once flew to Saltzburg and took a train to Halstadt - idyllic. Then on to Czezky Budojovice and Czesky Krumlov - wonderful. Then a bus to Prague - stunning and an overnight train to Budapest and back to Saltzburg. Great trip. The Czech Republic was quite smelly with lots of tall chimneys but otherwise very good - full of beautiful buildings and women and cheap food and beer. Who could ask for more?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#126 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Mike H »

jack wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 pm Dresden is odd - the damage from ww2 is very obvious - parts seem like sets from the third man...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

#127 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Schleswig Holstein got sold to Bismark in about 1861. I imagine its flat and boring ( like Silesia) but...who cares! The beer is prob good anyway. Just being out of this sceptered isle bollocks, bloody fucking little england is what counts, If youve got a flat in Gdansk you are either stupid or worldly wise enough ( which I guess) to be able to just go where you like, I've even had a wonderful if a bit tricky time in the Yemen, riots in Kashmir and a state of emergency in Lima and so on.

You can do what you like then you'll find out what you like. Just do it!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#128 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by pre65 »

We get our one free visit to the best on site restaurant tonight. It's french cuisine, and the dress code is "elegant", so long trousers, shoes and shirt.

They promise a free bottle of wine, but I hope it's not the Marbella Brut we had on arrival. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#129 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Just do it!
Michael L
Old Hand

#130 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm Schleswig Holstein got sold to Bismark in about 1861. I imagine its flat and boring ( like Silesia) but...who cares! The beer is prob good anyway. Just being out of this sceptered isle bollocks, bloody fucking little england is what counts, If youve got a flat in Gdansk you are either stupid or worldly wise enough ( which I guess) to be able to just go where you like, I've even had a wonderful if a bit tricky time in the Yemen, riots in Kashmir and a state of emergency in Lima and so on.

You can do what you like then you'll find out what you like. Just do it!
We do have some restrictions - Mrs L is still working three days a week and she has a very delicate stomach and that rules out some destinations. Our trip in June is mainly about her catching up with her friends in and around Gdansk but we do sometimes make side trips. One of the best was by overnight ferry from Gdynia to Karlskrona - base of Swedish Navy's R&D for centuries.The museum is excellent http://www.marinmuseum.se/en
Wizz were flying from Gdansk to Georgia and that was very tempting but it's now from Warsaw.
As for the forthcoming trip I'm now thinking a few days in the mountains may be good.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#131 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by jack »

Michael L wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 amWizz were flying from Gdansk to Georgia and that was very tempting but it's now from Warsaw.
SWMBO & I are escaping the end of Ramadan & all of Eid al-Fitr by using Fly Dubai to Yerevan, having a while trolling around in Armenia, taking the train to Georgia, having a week or so there, then flying back from Tbilisi - most people here sod off for the summer as it just gets ludicrously hot and nothing much gets done during Ramadan anyway,

Just reading Samarkand by Amin Maalouf - magical book :)

Not been to either Georgia or Armenia yet and really looking forward to this trip...
Michael L
Old Hand

#132 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

That's a trip I would like to do myself Nick
andrew Ivimey

#133 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Me too! Its on the list,,,fairly close to the top!
ratbagp
User

#134 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by ratbagp »

So as your interloper Aussie who lives in the US, I suppose I should suggest something from Oz, in this case, near the border of QLD and NSW. In this area there is a saying about the winter weather, 'perfect one day, better the next'. And it is mostly true.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2010/06/bee ... rning.html

The end of the blog entry has some decent sunset photos. I am fortunate in that I go back to Oz each year, and the thing that strikes me most about the place is the light. Very clear and intense, just like a good amplifier sounds.

Still, I enjoy the UK when I manage to get there and I should be there in a week's time.

ray
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#135 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm Silly boy! But then in Vienna there's only that doorway where, finally we get to see Harry Lyme,

Otoh, I havent been to Bratislava and that really is a stone's throw (from Vienna) and well worth a visit, I'm told.
The Third Man is one of my favorite all time films. Apart from introducing the joys of the zither to the world, just everything about it is wonderful.

We go to Dresden mainly because I have a nephew in Weimar - a really beautiful town that was spared the bombing (and firestorm) that destroyed Dresden.

The road from Dresden to Prague is very pretty, cutting as it does through the Sudetenland. I wasn't kidding about the brothels - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f ... /43481.stm or the garden gnomes https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/ ... gender.uk1.