Lenco demonstrator

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#76 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by Mike H »

That one sounds excellent to me too on my Thorens so must have done something right with it. :thumbleft:

jack wrote:
Mike H wrote:Sorry what is "POM" ?
Polyoxomethylene - a very stiff, low friction, polymer.
Ta!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

#77 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

Noticed abit of a wobble on the idler wheel today so I decided to order a new one from audiosilente in Italy

These are cnc machined so should be alot truer than the one on it at the moment.

I think the originals are pressed, this one is out of true, not by much, but i reckon it will add some wow. Which i dont want if someone wants to listen to it.

Tbh i havent heard any wow, its not showing up on kraftwerk on the long constant tones, I think the flywheel effect of the platter is getting rid of any, but i can guarantee that someone without cloth ears will
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#78 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by IslandPink »

You're doing an admirable job on this - nice to see all the details - thanks !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
cressy
Shed dweller

#79 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

The audiosilente idler wheel arrived this morning so has been fitted. The tolerance is very tight so the idler doesn't spin freely at the moment so will want running in.
The company state that it will want running in, they are working to a tight tolerance but the spindle it goes on on the lenco is an unknown. Manufacturing tolerances at the time it was made were not as stringent as they are these days. Some may be a fraction bigger or smaller. This one seems a fraction bigger. I reckon It will run itsself in fairly quickly.
Ive used the oil that forms on the top of lithium grease when it separates rather than light machine oil for the moment as while it's running in i want the lubricant to cling more and stay inside the bush rather than be pushed out by the tolerance. The last thing I want is for the spindle and bush to get hot from the friction it will generate from being tight.

Stuck some background music on and it immediately sounds quieter, the o ring tyre is offering more decoupling than the original idler did. And its bang true too.

To be continued.....

Edit: just checked it after one record side and it is a little freer to spin by hand already
cressy
Shed dweller

#80 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

2 lp sides and its nearly as free as the original. Should be spot on after a couple of lps

The background is much quieter, no discernable wow of flutter that i can hear, and it starts up and is up to speed within a rotation I reckon.
It was quiet before, it's now pretty much silent with a stylus in the runout groove.
I think it was money well spent. To be honest i didnt want to spend the money as its not standard kit, but the chances of getting a replacement used idler wheel that is any better than the one that was on it are slim. Nos ones are rare and expensive, so this was a no brainer.
Service from audiosilente has been excellent, 2 days to be delivered from Italy, im still waiting for stuff ordered from within the UK from last week. Go figure.
I think i will suggest these as a nice, relatively cost effective upgrade
cressy
Shed dweller

#81 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

Veneer finally showed up today too, that is a job for the weekend though.
It needs to sit for a few days so the moisture content levels out properly.
The end is in sight.
Or is it nigh :shock:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by Mike H »

Have nothing to contribute but watching with interest. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#83 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by Paul Barker »

the end is nigh on in sight wore kid.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
cressy
Shed dweller

#84 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

I have now noticed that I need to replace the bloody main bearing bushes. Noticed that there is lateral play in the spindle when lifting the platter off. How I missed this before I really don't know. Its a replacement bearing for the seized original aswell.
This donor has proven to be the biggest pile of shit I have ever had the misfortune to come across. And I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a large amount of the spares available are worn out. I really wish it had stayed in the canal where it must've been
Ferchristfuckingsake :x :x :x :x
How the hell it sounds any good at all i dont know

At least the right oilite bushes are available.
At least I have a completely bollocksed one to practice on.

To say I am frustrated at the moment is an understatement.
I will have repaired, refurbished or replaced everything that can possibly be done by the time its ready to be heard by anyone else
Where's the bloody blowtorch
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#85 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by Mike H »

Sending positive waves ...

.. man.

cressy
Shed dweller

#86 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

Ok, so I bypassed the tapper, and used the twatter.

This is the original bearing that was seized and had to be twatted to get it apart in the first place. Note the heavily corroded base plate and ally mounting flange

To get the bushes out i used the plate to push them out and the buggered spindle as a drift. Placed it on the drill press base as it has the keyhole slots in it for a vice. The mounting flange sat over the slot so that the bushes could be drifted out. Then belted it until they came out.

A 5 minute job as it turns out.
The bushes are about 4 quid apiece. So i shall order some new ones.

This whole build has turned into a complete mission.

To be continued.............
cressy
Shed dweller

#87 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

Have now cleaned up the bearing housing and taken the time to make Sure that the top face of the mounting flange has had all the casting burrs removed and is now actually flat.........
I refuse to be beaten :x

Have ordered a set of 10, oilites, it was 13 quid for 10, or 3.78 each for them..
Also ordered some ptfe m2.5 washers to replace the fibre washers that go on either side of the idler wheel. These ought to be better than the originals as the faces will be flatter and slide better against the faces of the idle wheel. Hopefully resulting in reduced the idler bearing noise.
We shall see....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#88 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by Mike H »

Very nice too. :thumbleft:

And a good dose of 'belting' is very therapeutic and satifying when it succeeds. :D

cressy
Shed dweller

#89 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

Ok so the oilites arrived today so have been fitted. The good spindle from the replacement bearing has been used with the cleaned up original housing. The POM thrust pad, new ball and replacement baseplate have also been used.
The new oilites showed how dry and worn the old ones were, there isn't any discernable lateral movement at the spindle now it has been relubricated it and put it back together. The Teflon washers also arrived for the idler wheel so have been fitted too.
The rundown time from 33rpm took 3 minutes 7 seconds after surgery so I'd call that a success.
Haven't listened to it yet so we shall see
cressy
Shed dweller

#90 Re: Lenco demonstrator

Post by cressy »

It's alot better