The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2266 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Well done Ray, that's a mahoosive London Loopy. That Surrey Hills bit is proper gnarly.

I'm out!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2267 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Dave, though I was kinda hoping you might be my guide and keep me safe - its kind of scary when there are no moo cows next to the roads...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2268 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

No cows next to the road round them parts matey. Surrey cows drive big 4x4 SUV's containing Bunty and Tarquin to the nearest prep school according to cyclist chums round that neck of the woods :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#2269 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

A tad pejorative young bass boy, but I nearly wet myself...

good effort
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#2270 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dennis is certainly disrupting plans down here. I did manage to get in a ride yesterday morning when the weather radar showed a gap in the rain - I managed to stay reasonably dry.

Departed: Feb 15, '20, 09:18AM
Distance: 26.3 mi
Elevation: + 1686 / - 1635 ft
Max Grade: 9.6 %
Moving Time: 01:39:27
Max Speed: 34.4 mph
Avg. Speed: 15.9 mph

It looks as though the worst of Dennis will pass by lunchtime today so I'm aiming to get a few miles in this afternoon - probably ride the same route as I know it won't be flooded or covered in brown stuff. So, this morning I think I'll wield my soldering iron with the aim of getting the DAC module of my 300B HPA up and running.
Ray P

#2271 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I made good use of this morning's 'stay indoors' weather and got the DAC working! I headed out on the bike as soon as the weather radar showed the rain clearing; 25miles without getting rained on! Same roads as yesteray but worked a bit harder so higher wattage/HR and faster average!

Departed: Feb 16, '20, 02:24PM
Distance: 25.5 mi
Elevation: + 1550 / - 1585 ft
Max Grade: 9.7 %
Moving Time: 01:33:41
Avg. Watts: 187
Max Speed: 35.6 mph
Avg. Speed: 16.3 mph
Max Heartrate: 142 bpm
Min Heartrate: 72 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 117.4 bpm
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2272 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Managed to get out and do about 1 1/2 hrs walking on the hills. Dodging the mud was a problem. Not great form, but I live in hope of fitness one day.
Off to the Lakes for a long weekend on Friday. I will see what is possible, nothing too ambitious.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#2273 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've paid my entry for Ride London so committed now. I have started to look at the logistics and they look harder than the ride.

Firstly I have to go to the Cycle event at the Excel Centre a couple of days before to register then, for the actual event day, I'll need to get to the Olympic Park by about 6am.

I'm thinking about getting the train up but need to find out about taking the bike on the tube and the like to get from Paddington to Stratford.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2274 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:30 am I've paid my entry for Ride London so committed now. I have started to look at the logistics and they look harder than the ride.

Firstly I have to go to the Cycle event at the Excel Centre a couple of days before to register then, for the actual event day, I'll need to get to the Olympic Park by about 6am.

I'm thinking about getting the train up but need to find out about taking the bike on the tube and the like to get from Paddington to Stratford.
I'm not sure what's running that early in the morning... the tube certainly may be shut at 05:00 (it's a 45 minute trip by tube roughy). It's about a 10 mile ride from Paddington to Stratford and generally, in my experience, you will have problems taking a full sized bike on the tube - see https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles ... his-page-1 for more details...

I would seriously consider coming up the previous day and staying in a B&B nearby...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#2275 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 am I'm not sure what's running that early in the morning... the tube certainly may be shut at 05:00 (it's a 45 minute trip by tube roughy). It's about a 10 mile ride from Paddington to Stratford and generally, in my experience, you will have problems taking a full sized bike on the tube - see https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles ... his-page-1 for more details...

I would seriously consider coming up the previous day and staying in a B&B nearby...
Yes, coming up the evening before and stopping over was my thinking - I didn't make it very clear. I would still need to get across London with a full size road bike though as I don't really fancy riding it on open roads.
Ant
Shed dweller

#2276 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ant »

Done a couple of 5k and a 10k run in the last couple of days since I got hold of the huawei fit bit type thingy.
First run ended up at 5.5k and is the route I've done for years, that came in at 33.42. Not bad to say I haven't run all winter. I was pushing abit harder than I would normally have to as my general fitness has dropped off somewhat so I was puffing and blowing quite abit, and was buggered when I got back to the garden gate...... The 5k split time was 30.09. There were a couple of slowdowns to fast walking pace when I'd pushed it a little too far,

Second was a supposed to be 10k and ended up at 11.02k and is another route I've done for years. Was abit longer than I thought. Took 1:09:17. The 10k split was 1:02:31. Which I was particularly pleased with, as I got to
5k without any slowing to fast walking pace. The second 5k I was trying to keep my heart rate around 160bpm, keep in the anaerobic range and set the band to warn if my heart rate got above 170. When it did I slowed to fast walking and then sped up when it had dropped to 125/130 ish.

Then today, I got round the 5.5k route without having to slow down and got round in 32:35, with the 5k split of 29.02. I wasn't puffing and blowing and getting laughed at this time either when I got back to the garden gate.

Nothing tomorrow, I shall attempt the 10k again on thursday
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P

#2277 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good work Ant.
Ray P

#2278 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Had a hard ride with five guys, all keen cyclists, from the office today. Tough lumpy terrain and really gnarly weather, strong south westerly and very heavy showers (even some sleat and snow). :o

Departed: Mar 01, '20, 08:36AM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 65.3 mi
Elevation: + 3916 / - 3871 ft
Max Grade: 18.8 %
VAM: 473 Vm/h
Moving Time: 04:18:02
Calories: 2777
Avg. Watts: 179
Max Speed: 37.8 mph
Avg. Speed: 15.2 mph
Moving Pace: 00:03:57
Max Heartrate: 145 bpm
Min Heartrate: 63 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 114.1 bpm
Capture.JPG
I was, by more than a decade, the oldest but I wasn't the last one up the hills! :D
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2279 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

I've done a couple of 53km circuits this week - nothing to shout about, but satisfying none-the-less. Today's weather was lovely...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2280 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Impressive stuff nonetheless. I spent about three hours going up & down Troutbeck Tongue from Troutbeck (Lakes). Carried about 2.2kg of camera gear that barely got used.
Cold wind. Sun refused to come out. It was a lot better than yesterday, though !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"