The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1261 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Sorry to hear this Mr B. Hope you and Scobswell are mended soon.

Btw, thanks for the photographic proof but please put a warning up first. Put me off my porridge that did :shock:
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1262 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 pm Just out of interest Dave but what happened to the other guy?
He stayed upright as he just rode straight into me, I was just pootling along but he was tanking it and he piled into my side at the front of the bike, coupled with not being able to stop I'm guessing he transferred his inertia (!) to me, hence me doing the bouncy bouncy splatt.
IslandPink wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 pm He was found on a mudbank on the side of the Thames almost choked to death with a cheese and piccalilli sandwich stuffed into his mouth, and taken off to a local mental hospital for treatment to recover from the flavour.
Arf! BTW, Thats Piccalillist! A hate crime innit :)
shane wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 pm I trust there was a full and frank exchange of views?

The lad was only 13 or 14 years old, he didn't know he was riding illegally and was genuinely concerned with what he'd done. I mean, it could have been a lot worsererer.... it might have been very old unfit cyclist he knocked off instead of me.... arf!
jack wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:55 am Sorry to hear this Mr B. Hope you and Scobswell are mended soon.

Btw, thanks for the photographic proof but please put a warning up first. Put me off my porridge that did :shock:
Ta Nick, I take it you don't want to see todays bile and puss dripping from the mangled membranes of my right knee? :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1263 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

The hard work and miles seem to be paying off. After a rest day yesterday I had a session in the gym ths evening and smashed my PB for my virtual 7mile ride by 40seconds; best time down from 19min 23sec to 18min 43sec! Whooaar, thats an average of nearly 22.5mph - I didn't expect that.

Just goes to show the old adage is right, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

I reckon I'll top 25mph when I dope myself up with cheese and piccallli sarnies.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1264 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm The hard work and miles seem to be paying off. After a rest day yesterday I had a session in the gym ths evening and smashed my PB for my virtual 7mile ride by 40seconds; best time down from 19min 23sec to 18min 43sec! Whooaar, thats an average of nearly 22.5mph - I didn't expect that.

Just goes to show the old adage is right, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

I reckon I'll top 25mph when I dope myself up with cheese and piccallli sarnies.
Just to put all our cycling efforts into perspective, I did the Ras al Khaimah half-marathon a few weeks ago. I managed to do it in 2:28:46 - I was aiming for 2:25 but did sod-all preparation, so was happy with that.The winner did it in 00:58:42 (5th fastest in history) - 11 men in the race had previously done sub-1 hour times.

That's a ridiculous average of 21.6 km/h or 13.42mph. Without a bike.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#1265 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 amJust to put all our cycling efforts into perspective...
Don't I know it, I find myself wondering how Redgrave, Pinsent, et al did it after every session on the rowing machine.

Still, I reassure myself that I'm not doing badly for someone who's turned sixty.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1266 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 am
That's a ridiculous average of 21.6 km/h or 13.42mph. Without a bike.
I'd imagine they'd be a bit slower if they were carrying a bike though yeah? So running without a bike must be quite easy, I dunno what all the fuss is about :)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1267 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Local loop on big heavy ol' Bellamy today.

Departed: Mar 14, '18, 04:58PM
Distance: 13.8 mi
Elevation: + 615 / - 616 ft
Max Grade
8.7 %
Avg. Grade
0.2 %
VAM 316 Vm/h
Ascent time 00:35:33
Descent time 00:27:11
Total Duration: 01:05:08
Moving Time: 01:02:44
Stopped Time: 00:02:24
Max Speed: 28.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 13.2 mph
Pace: 00:04:43
Moving Pace: 00:04:33

Blummen hard work, much slower than Scobswell.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1268 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I looked at Scobswell's front wheel and forks today after the bouncy bounce. I was right , one of the fork legs got bent, using a steel rule I could see exactly where a 1/3 of the way down the nearside leg. Much hairy chin rubbing. Light bulb! Remove the fork from the frame, put wooden blocks between the inside of the fork legs to force the leg to straighten in the right place (in theory)..... carefully apply a locally produced 13 1/2 stone hairy wally onto fork leg, check with steel ruler, job done! Blummen worked n'all.

Next, front wheel, its all wobbly, looks like the impact has stretched or done summat to some of the spokes as a lot are loose and rattling about, odd. I tried carefully tightening the spokes but there's a slight buckle to the rim now, meh. Maybe its time to let it go, so long ol' chum, you were my 1st bit of Campag albeit 3rd hand via MrC. It was tired when I was gifted it, it's blummen clapped out now I think...

Erks...

I had (what I thought) was 2 off 2nd hand serviceable spares, turns out the cones are pitted in one...yuck... 'crunchy'...and the spindle tread had seen better days too, so that no longer a contender...

which left a wheel that came free with the skip-saved SS Carrera bike I use for fine weather minimalist speedy fun. Great, I'll use that... except the spindle is a different diameter so that need careful filing to get it to fit the fork spindle slots. Fits now, whahey! And its 'true', its also the most awful and cheap single walled rim I've ever seen but at least it fits.

I went out on a local loopy as a test run...
Departed: Mar 16, '18, 02:36PM
Distance: 13.8 mi
Elevation: + 621 / - 622 ft
Max Grade
8.6 %
Avg. Grade
0.3 %
VAM 362 Vm/h
Ascent time 00:31:23
Descent time 00:26:22
Total Duration: 01:01:21
Moving Time: 00:57:45
Stopped Time: 00:03:36
Max Speed: 26.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 14.4 mph
Pace: 00:04:26
Moving Pace: 00:04:11

That'll do for now, how long it'll last, who knows, but Scobs lives again. Hurah.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1269 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Bluddy hell bluddy dangerous this bi-sigh-cling lark :shock:

Ray P, luvly photos, very pik-cher-eskew! :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1270 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 pm Bluddy hell bluddy dangerous this bi-sigh-cling lark :shock:
I was only fitting a replacement front wheel, thats not dangerous.... falling off it is :)
Ray P

#1271 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

A cold and very windy morning down here but headed out early before the promised snow arrrives; it actually arrived while I was out and me tootsies got a bit numb. Anyway, a hilly 27 or so miles, made a lot harder by said wind.

This was my first ride equipped with my new Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor too. It worked well. Stats;

Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 27.6 mi
Elevation: + 1864 / - 1880 ft
Max Grade: 12.1 %
VAM: 501 Vm/h
Moving Time: 01:54:19
Calories: 1251
Avg. Watts: 182
Max Speed: 31.9 mph
Avg. Speed: 14.5 mph
Pace: 00:04:10
Moving Pace: 00:04:09
Max Heartrate: 139 bpm
Min Heartrate: 64 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 114.3 bpm
Andrew
Eternally single

#1272 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Andrew »

It could be the photo, Dave, but I think you might have a slight bend where the headset meets the forks.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1273 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 am It could be the photo, Dave, but I think you might have a slight bend where the headset meets the forks.

Andrew
Yeah, could be, I see what you mean. I'll have a look at that area with fresh eyes in daylight.
Ray P

#1274 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Cycling's snowed off today!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1275 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Same here, and its only 0.3 Deg C out there. Very nearly run out of temperature.