The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Paul Barker »

Just received a letter asking the driver who drove my car back from Owston at 21:00 on the A64 at 35 mph ina temporary 30mph zone. It's Owston I tell you, it's jinksed! Probably wouldn't have triggered at 34. I recall the stretch of road with no other traffic and no workers on the road. Normally such a stretch is 50. Sneaky or what?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by The Stratmangler »

You get caught speeding on the A64, and Owston is jinxed?
I don't follow the logic Paul.
Curiously enough I stuck to all the signed speed restrictions there and back and haven't had a letter about it ....
Chris :happy3:
Paul Barker

#3 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Paul Barker »

Its because I was stopped and breathalised last time. The result was "no alchohol". Goody two shoes.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by pre65 »

I opted to do the speed awareness course after my last speeding offence, and since then I have tried very hard not to speed.

It can be difficult at times, but if you don't speed you can't get caught.

Even today I noticed a Police camera van in a 30 mph area and realised my speed was a tad excessive. I hope I slowed down that couple of MPH before I was in range.

I use cruise control (if it's safe to do so) a lot in speed restricted areas, it helps me stay legal. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Mike H »

Just south of Boston is a bit of the A16 with a construction zone, to use the American vernacular, with temporary 30 mph signs. Nobody gives a stuff. Might slow down to 50 or 40. Seen the same elsewhere at other roadworks sites. Bit different if there's actual workmen around maybe.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#6 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Paul Barker »

Must admit, it's first time I've seen a 30mph restriction on dual carriageway roadworks where you are down to one lane. Has always been 50 average speed checked.

But now I know, they've snuck this in with a cash cow sat on it, I'll be aware of that one too, to join the rest of them.

Must admit the initiative over last few years has resulted in majority of speed limits adhered to. I had started to think the cost of monitoring speed won't be paid back as the initiative is effective. I suppose we can now sit back and wait for the statistics to see how many lives were saved.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Dave the bass »

I don't think I own a vehicle that goes fast enough to break a speed limit.

Having said that I did trigger the Sad face/Happy Face speed warning lights at the foot of Shooters Hill on my Fixie last Autumn.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by Mike H »

Respek!

Say Paul I thought afterwards, they're a bit quick with the letter? Took 2 weeks to get mine, 3 years ago. (I got snapped doing 37 in Melton Mowbray, forgot it was a 30 zone. :oops: )

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

#9 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha! So delighted was I to be back in this Sceptered Isle, this England etc etc that I was not perhaps concentrating 100% as I drove along a street to the supermarket to get breakfast things. There it was, cleverly concealed by its ordinariness in a place that the camera van usually isn't and so I have been photographed - welcome home! A micromillisecond before I hit the brakes I saw that I was doing 34mph.

No excuses! no sympathy for myself - it was and is a 30mph zone and even though there is no school nearby lots of very rich Bedfordians live there and they don't want riff-raff and scum breaking their peace and quiet whilst eating breakfast, so I get a fine. Cheers!

Shit, as we (are all in this together) may notice in the forthcoming weeks, months , years, happens.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

p.s. the sad/happy face sign once broke out in an incredulous 'well just what the fuck do you think you are trying to do? sort of expression as I 'sped' by on my bike one day last year.

Last Sunday in the centre of Berlin ( a very flat and spacious city) there was a road race. They were all using fixies! - fashion, turn to the right, fashion turn to the left - we are the bicycle boys and we're coming to town - beep beep!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Ha! So delighted was I to be back in this Sceptered Isle, this England etc etc that I was not perhaps concentrating 100% as I drove along a street to the supermarket to get breakfast things. There it was, cleverly concealed by its ordinariness in a place that the camera van usually isn't and so I have been photographed - welcome home! A micromillisecond before I hit the brakes I saw that I was doing 34mph.

No excuses! no sympathy for myself - it was and is a 30mph zone and even though there is no school nearby lots of very rich Bedfordians live there and they don't want riff-raff and scum breaking their peace and quiet whilst eating breakfast, so I get a fine. Cheers!

Shit, as we (are all in this together) may notice in the forthcoming weeks, months , years, happens.
Andrew, have you been "offered" the option of attending a speed awareness course ?

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'd be delighted to accept such a welcome education
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I'd be delighted to accept such a welcome education
You have to pay !!

I seem to remember it cost more than the fine, but you don't get an endorsement on your licence.

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#14 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ain't no thing as a free lunch. .. Do you get lunch thrown in? - lobster thermidore and champagne.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: The treacherous post Owston drive home strikes again.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Ain't no thing as a free lunch. .. Do you get lunch thrown in? - lobster thermidore and champagne.
Bugger all, unless you take a hamper. :)

Edmund Burke