Dungeon Keeper

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#286 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And obviously you don't understand the difference between electronic component filter phase and mechanical filter phase. I will give you a little clue, one fecks up the music one doesn't. One affects the load on the amplifier the other doesn't.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Social outcast

#287 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by shane »

[pedant mode]affects, not effects[/pedant mode]
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#288 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Nick »

chris661 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm I'm getting closer and closer to full-range out of these, but really that should be a different thread. There's nothing much I can do about the steep drop in the treble, but the bass is getting there. Getting below 40Hz now, but it's costing a lot of headroom.

I see your point about 300Hz-5kHz. It's not perfectly linear (something going on around 1.9kHz, reflected in the SPL graph too), but it's not far off. Mechanical filtering at either end is affecting the phase curve, but I'd argue that's inherent to every driver.

Chris
Yep, and I would think that instead of trying to prove we are masters of the universe by getting 40Hz out of them, It would be more interesting to let it do the bit above 300Hz and find another driver to fit below it that has a equally flat phase range. But thats just what I would do. And I think its the basis of what Mark is trying to achieve.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#289 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Dave the bass »

Thats Nik Turner's job already innit?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#290 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Scottmoose »

Loudspeaker drive units are nominally minimum phase devices with phase following what the FR does. In practice external factors can affect behaviour; equally if the natural phase response has a glitch, this can be fixed in the filter.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
chris661
Shed dweller

#291 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by chris661 »

Nick wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm Yep, and I would think that instead of trying to prove we are masters of the universe by getting 40Hz out of them, It would be more interesting to let it do the bit above 300Hz and find another driver to fit below it that has a equally flat phase range. But thats just what I would do. And I think its the basis of what Mark is trying to achieve.
I just find getting a wide bandwidth from a single driver in a small box to be an interesting challenge. If you use EQ to flatten the response, the phase stays flat towards the bottom of the passband, too. The tradeoff there is increased distortion.

I agree that something to work below 300Hz or so would be great for a variety of reasons, but I like having a pair of tiny speakers that produce near-full-range quite well. They don't go loud at all, but they do a lot of other things well and that's the compromise I'm happy with. I can see a problem, though - serious DSP will be needed to get linear-phase crossovers to go between the two drive units.

Chris
Greg
Social outcast

#292 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Greg »

I very much like what I read on what you are doing, Chris. I like that you completely understand the limitations of what you are working with, know that there are circumstances where your speaker could perform so much better, but you know your drivers range and limitation and then work with it, even for fun, seeing if you can stretch what it can do. Excellent! You are still having so much fun. Oh I wish I/me/they/them never lost the desire for that fun. Just keep st it and two fingers up here or anywhere to anyone who seeks to crush your enthusiasm.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#293 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Scottmoose »

+1. :)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#294 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by pre65 »

Nowt wrong with some fun in life. :)

In-fact, fun could be our raison d'être.

More power to your elbow Chris.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Michael L
Old Hand

#295 Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Michael L »

:D