Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#211 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

I'm not putting the plans out there this time.
They are only scribbled down in a red book at the moment in any case and are subject to change as the prototypes develop further. I also have another two models in the development stages. The OmniMet that is the subject of this thread, is the middle one in the proposed range of three.
I've at least another three months of prototyping of the other two, and yes I have plans for trialling them. They may become part of a very small, build to order enterprise, if trials prove succesful. I have 10 and a bit months until I'm 60, at which point I stop teaching.

That's the time window to get up and running with these. Lots to do.
As I bring the things on line, one at a time, I will be asking for beta testers by invitation.
Once the 300B OTL is out of the way, another OmniMet, the same as the present one but veneered in walnut will be constructed and that will be the first test mule to go out to invited testers. The drivers and veneer are on order and will arrive this week.

These things are bloody good.....yes...really, they are! And I know I've hit upon something special with them.
It's taken 11 years to get to this stage and it's exciting to see them coming to fruition. I'm not in this for anything but the joy of making music happen for people. If I only shifted a few pairs to friends, that would be achievement enough for me. I'm going with the flow and enjoying every minute at the 'mo. I don't know how or why these designs came into my head fully formed, when they did, because I wasn't in the best of mental health, when they arrived, but I'm darned glad it happened, whatever the reason.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#212 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Scottmoose »

Good man Steve, and I wish you every success, whatever means you wish that success to be in. Please accept my apologies for the following now, which is nothing to do with you, but I'm obliged to address it, as I know you will understand were the circumstances shifted somewhat. It is no reflection on your speakers either, which I'm sure are excellent, and am looking forward to hearing at some point.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:57 pmI cannot address what I see as the problem without referring to you as you are the problem. You have got caught in the trap of the process taking over from the result and being more important. You judge yourself on how complicated you can make it as it seems to you to make your ego more inflated.
I thought I'd take 24 hours or so to decide whether to reply to this latest personal attack, since I am told allowances need to be made in our allegedly 'post truth era'. But having reflected, I'm obliged to call you on this.

Two facts you fail to mention:

1/ The vast majority of the loudspeakers I have designed (roughly 98%) are unfiltered single-driver types, most of which utilise physically simple enclosures.

2/ I regularly request, as a number of people here know, that I am not to be mentioned as the responsible designer of a speaker, specifically because I do not much like my name regularly appearing. I often prefer co-designers to be credited rather than myself.

Both the above are indisputable facts known to many independent people, including many members of this forum. They are easily checked and impossible to reconcile with the statements that I 'judge myself on how complicated [I...] can make it', and wish to 'make [my] ego more inflated.' Both of which, as I have illustrated (and can provide reams of proof) are utter drivel in direct contradiction to reality.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#213 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Fair enough, i can only go on your thread that started my irritation. That is what I am referring to.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#214 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Ray P »

Hi Steve. This all looks very interesting and I will be interested to see how it develops. Once I get some building work out of the way I will be able to get the rooms/systems optimised and at that point a potential customer.

I hope your entrepreneurial adventure works out for you.

Cheers

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#215 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scottmoose wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 pm
2/ I regularly request, as a number of people here know, that I am not to be mentioned as the responsible designer of a speaker, I often prefer co-designers to be credited rather than myself.
Well it works Scott. I cited Dave's Mileva and Dimitri as a wide baffle with WAF. Didn't know you'd designed them. :wink:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#216 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

I hope you know Steve that you will get any help from me I can as we artisan new industry direct sellers have to stick together as the industry hates us and tries anyway they can to stop us and kill us off.

They have done it through out the history of this industry if anyone dares to go direct. They hate the internet as that has allowed the possibility of it, before the internet they could kill you off and did. The most famous case is a company I referred to in an earlier post, Richard Allen speakers. He was a cantankerous old git like I am now back then and got so fed up with not getting any UK dealers because he was forced out by the flat earth mafia, and he hadn't managed to get the good magazine reviews to get the export business. So he went direct through magazine adverts and cut his prices to trade for the end user, brilliant bargains. So what happened the industry jumped on him, he was personally insulted his products were dissed and insulted, the magazines blanked him (apart from his advertising). BADA and the FBA agreed he needed killing as a company, so they did, and he just muttered off into the wilderness with no company and a loss of even his reputation. Can you see the pattern now of how I have been treated in the last 12 years since selling direct to customers at trade prices. But I get away with it as they cannot stop me because of the internet. They wanted a fight so they got one :x. Dunn and NVA insults are 10 a penny on line as all originating in flat earth and dealer spammers and shills on Wigwam, PFM, etc, for some reason my defence against them has created the clan of Dunn haters as well. I doubt you will get it as bad as the industry is slowly changing MY WAY!! and to 2nd hand and to DIY as witnessed here, and is a bloody sight better because of it.

Perhaps people will look again at his work and give Richard Allen a little more respect.
gninnam
Old Hand

#217 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by gninnam »

Enjoyed reading your work on this speaker (apart from the diatribe that has now started to appear on this forum) and I would be interested in trying them as a guinea pig, as I think you are all about right with what you say with the direction that speaker design has been going over the the last 50 years with what appears to be over complication to reproduce the 'music'.

My music room is fairly small but open and it would be nice to see a speaker interact with the room that I have which I believe is quite common for the majority of households now-a-days!

Good luck with your adventure.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#218 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cheers Doc :D

I'm getting all the prep, beta testing, research, prototyping, whatever you want to call it, done, going spring into Summer, so given a following wind, I may be able to get going by the end of this year. My attitude to this is, if I make a few bob, fine, if I don't, I won't have lost a lot. Doing things this way suits me. There's no urgency, no "strike while the iron is hot" nonsense.
For me, it is enjoyment of what I'm doing first, second and last.
A mate of mine, who does talks for small startups has always said, If you go into business to make money, you're going to fail, you have to do it, because you believe in what it is you are doing, you are passionate about your product and you enjoy yourself. Any other reason and you may as well not bother.

You can be sure I'll be pestering you in a few months time. :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#219 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

gninnam wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm Enjoyed reading your work on this speaker and I would be interested in trying them as a guinea pig.

My music room is fairly small but open and it would be nice to see a speaker interact with the room that I have which I believe is quite common for the majority of households now-a-days.
OK.... it'll be a good few months yet though. :)
I'm sorting out the invitation bit first. Get some constructive views/opinions from people I know in the first instance
( straight-talking, pernickety b'stards the lot of 'em) :wink:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#220 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

If in that process you need to try them with a good solid state amp, give me a shout.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#221 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks Doc.
Will do.
gninnam
Old Hand

#222 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by gninnam »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm

OK.... it'll be a good few months yet though. :)
I'm sorting out the invitation bit first. Get some constructive views/opinions from people I know in the first instance
( straight-talking, pernickety b'stards the lot of 'em) :wink:
Understand - been using various box shaped speakers for years and would love to hear the difference the speaker you have designed would make (with the intention of purchasing one if I like what I hear).

Many thanks.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#223 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Of course I can't say for sure, as speakers are such a subjective area, with personal taste the ultimate arbiter, but
I think you might be pleasantly surprised.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#224 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Now then chaps.
Next week or maybe the week after that, I start on my walnut pair for my own use. Drivers and veneer arrived this morning.
I'm looking for recommendations for good sounding crossover caps. The prototypes sound great with Maplin polypropylenes as bass blockers to the tweeters, but I'm looking for a few recommendations for other caps I could audition. :)
Anyone got any personal crossover cap favourites? :)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#225 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by pre65 »

What sort of value are you looking at Steve ?

When James D was giving me advice on the crossover for the baffles he suggested poly something or other. I think motor run caps for small values or MKP type.

http://www.vanderheem.info/164-best-capacitor_eng.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)