Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

They really do look the business - proper job
Laurence
I am not a user, I am a free man

Post by Laurence »

I imagine that this is a pretty optimal way of making a box speaker. Is it made possible by sensible cost of the drivers? I have no idea what they cost just asking.

I once heard a box peaker in the 80's which I really liked. It had four midrange drivers a mid tweet and a super tweet. The guy (Inventor) said that the benefit of using four smaller drivers than a large one for bass was speed. It certainly worked. He was in an upstairs office show room in tottenham Court Road. Just ahd his own solid state amp and speaker. It was very good but he was a failure at marketing.

They were KEF drivers I think it was modeled on the BBC speakers but much improved.

But they took the typical 80's fatter frontal approach the four woofers were in a square arrangement.

I don't recall imaging standing out. But in those days I hadn't encountered it.

p.s. the salesman proprietor was not the designer he paid clever eggheads a lot of money to sit in anechoic chambers all day. But one thing he told me about the amplifier. "It has cost me a fortune to have it designed, it would have been a lot cheaper to just copy a Radford valve amp, which is better anyway". It's just that he was at that time under the illusion that you could do better with transistors than with valves. He actually admitted defeat in the amplifier to me a potential customer. No wander he went out of business, too honest.
Last edited by Laurence on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

they look spectacular :D
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Toppsy wrote:It's been light drizzle rain in Rossendale almost non stop since Saturday Night :angry1: So with the weather forecast for Thursday (today) and Friday up our way saying it was to be DRY with light winds, I worked till the wee small hours last night to get the Edingdale speakers finished
As this is all on the patio I'm guessing some broom work is involved after each "session" ? :D

BTW them's Monacor RBT tweeters 'int they? Apologies if I missed a previous mention :oops:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Toppsy wrote:It's been light drizzle rain in Rossendale almost non stop since Saturday Night :angry1: So with the weather forecast for Thursday (today) and Friday up our way saying it was to be DRY with light winds, I worked till the wee small hours last night to get the Edingdale speakers finished as I need to get lots of wood cut/routed and some speakers built. This I have been doing since 8 o'clock this morning. So I'm on a well earned lunch break and thought I'd download and post up a photo of them either side my fireplace in my listening room. Again the photo don't do justice and it was late.

Phwoar.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Laurence wrote
I imagine that this is a pretty optimal way of making a box speaker. Is it made possible by sensible cost of the drivers? I have no idea what they cost just asking.
This is a development of my standmount 2-way speakers in that they used the same mid-bass driver + Mark Audio #3 tweeter. We had to change the tweeter as it was not sensitive enough for the 4-woofers. The whole idea being a comment made by NickG one night after a session at the pub. Nick's liked a lot what the standmounts did but thought they lacked some bass detail and information. He thought 4-woofers wired series/parrallel to give a nominal 8-ohm load and the eqivalent CSA of a 12"/15" bass driver would be a good thing. Indeed it has so turned out :lol:

And yes, it is a pretty optimal way of getting as small a speaker that gives the bass of a large 12"/15" woofer. Cost was also a consideration. The big advantage over using several smaller drivers to one large one is, as you commented "speed" and the fact each smaller woofer has to do a quarter the effort of a single driver so less distortion and greater midrange detail coming through the music. At least that's what I found.

Mike H wrote
As this is all on the patio I'm guessing some broom work is involved after each "session" ? :D

BTW them's Monacor RBT tweeters 'int they? Apologies if I missed a previous mention :oops:
Mike, Yes I have to sweep up after every session and if the wind is blowing a lot more often than that. And Yes them's is the Monacor ribbons. Nice ain't they :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes indeedy.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Well, having heard these speakers at Colin's, I have to say he's done a fantastic job. They look great, and aren't as big as the pictures might suggest.
They certainly sound powerful (perhaps slightly too much lower bass for me, but that was probably down to the room), and were shown to work well on a variety of amplifiers. There were comments on how the sofa vibrated on certain musical passages, yet the cones were barely moving! Those ribbon tweeters performed well above their price tag, too. Impressive stuff.

Cheers Colin (and Lynn, whose culinary skills were much appreciated).
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

chris661 wrote:Well, having heard these speakers at Colin's, I have to say he's done a fantastic job. They look great, and aren't as big as the pictures might suggest.
They certainly sound powerful (perhaps slightly too much lower bass for me, but that was probably down to the room), and were shown to work well on a variety of amplifiers. There were comments on how the sofa vibrated on certain musical passages, yet the cones were barely moving! Those ribbon tweeters performed well above their price tag, too. Impressive stuff.

Cheers Colin (and Lynn, whose culinary skills were much appreciated).
Agreed. These are a lovely speaker design. Highly musically communicative.
Nuff said! 8)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yeah I liked these a lot too. I quite fancy a pair of these - the midrange is super as Nick says but I quite like the bass grunt. :headbang:

I'm told they're not domestically acceptable though - they're bigger than no speakers at all it seems...
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

Listened to these yesterday and was very impressed. A nice full sound without compromising the mid range and excellent build quality of course. Very pleasant day too - thanks Colin.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

simon wrote:I'm told they're not domestically acceptable though - they're bigger than no speakers at all it seems...
SWMBO?

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I like to think of it more as an agreement than actually obey! ;-)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

So She Who Must Be Agreed With, then?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yeah, that sounds about right :lol: