DIY Linear Tonearm

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#16 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:47 pm ps. if you want any bits from an old air-bearing arm I used, early version of Vic's trans-fi arms, you can have those for nothing. There's a pump too.
Thanks Mark, that sounds of interest. You prompted me to visit the trans-fi site - some interesting stuff there. What have you got arm wise (other than the one on the right and other on the left - before Mr. Bass arrives!).
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by IslandPink »

I'll take a photo later , it's not as good as the later one Ant showed, but might be OK for experiments.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#18 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Mark. No hurry.
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by Ant »

Ray, if I was looking for a dd deck to play with for not a massive outlay I would buy this aiwa ap2600. Especially if you haven't had a deck in years, there's absolutely no faffing to be done to set it up, plonk and play. I'd have it If I has the ready cash.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3938733800

I had one and it was superb. One of the ones I sold and wished I hadn't, very good indeed.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P

#20 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for the pointer Ant
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: DIY Linear Tonearm

Post by IslandPink »

Vic bits below.
As I remember it, I took it out of use because the floating carrier for the arm was rubbing against the channel in a couple of places. I suspected the ali channel had warped slightly due to being epoxied to the wood. I wondered if a bit of a re-grind using the carrier and some carborundum paste would be enough to get it true again ? The pump was probably marginal in terms of the pressure it could deliver too - but it worked for a while.
It did give very spacious sound with good low-level retrieval. Also the good tracking in the inner tracks was a nice bonus !
Vic_bits_1.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"