Ittok/new cartridge

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
guy
User

#16 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by guy »

DSJR wrote:I was never a fan of the DV20X series, much preferring the 17D models which worked well in the LP12-Ittok. With Ela's though, the hf would take fillings out I fear. Dynavector's have dramatically increased in price over the last fifteen years (all but doubled I fear), so out of their league in my book...

Do please consider the Hana models. Not just me, they seem to be growing in popularity with a well tempered character. The DL304 is great in a Rega RB tonearm, but I'm not sure about stability in an Ittok on ripply warps - a hunch, that's all.
Hi Dave,
your certainly right about Dynavector price increase! I know that you have said before about Ela HF being painful, but it's not something that has ever been noticeable to me. I remember auditioning Epos es14 about the time that I bought the Ela now they were screechy imo. Also various metal dome jobbies that sounded painful. Was it the mk 1's that offended you?

I could get a DV10X5 for £399 by part exchanging the DV20, so that is a possible (although more than I had hoped).

I have been reading up on the Hana models and they certainly seem to be a popular option, but they would be a real shot in the dark.

Any one know the name/web address of non UK dealer that could offer better price on Dynavector/Hana/ Denon?

best wishes. Guy.
Greg
Social outcast

#17 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by Greg »

This is a good German dealer of discounted cartridges I've used before. He has four Denons in his list.

https://www.thakker.eu/en/cartridges/
Michael L
Old Hand

#18 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by Michael L »

You may want to visit the Vinylengine forum to check out how suitable any candidate is with your Ittock in regard to compliance.
guy
User

#19 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by guy »

Thanks Greg and Michael :thumbup:
guy
User

#20 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by guy »

Problem sorted :bounce:

Found that a dealer near to me stocks Dynavector 10x5, gave a 25% discount against my 20x and fitted the cartridge for £367. Pleasant short drive to Signals hi-fi (Bucklesham near Ipswich) this afternoon. Very nice blokes, soon to move in to new premises.

Looking forward to a good session with it tomorrow, Pretenders will be first on in the morning I think. Funny how much I missed playing the fruit box for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for suggestions folks, I would have liked to listen to the Hana cartridges, but limited options for auditions.

Guy.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#21 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by Mudshark »

Enjoy Guy...... :occasion5:
guy
User

#22 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by guy »

Cheers old chap, how are you keeping? well I hope :occasion5:
DSJR
User

#23 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by DSJR »

cressy wrote:Hi guy, the remove the arm business is a load of bollocks.
The only reason to take the arm off is to avoid the possibility of upsetting the suspension, and this is remote as it is. There is no way that any damage could be done to the bearings unless you were particularly brutal in handling it
Cheers ant

Actually that's not true and you're forgetting how the Ittok is made. All the joints are push fit and then screwed up with small screws and loc-tite, easily loosened by over zealous tightening of cartridges with the arm in situ - been there and done it guv'nor - first hand and experience with many dozens of Ittoks! Tightening up an Ittok was part of my Linn factory training, courtesy of a lovely chap named Alan Gibb, one half of the gentle team known as the 'Toothpaste Twins' back in the day, the other chap being Micheal McLean, all this before Linn got threatened by competition and became more assertive and then downright agressive...

What a shame you got sucked into dealer hype Guy. Signals is the very essence of the Doc's rantings on the other forum we both frequent, selling ever-worse sounding gear the more thousands you give them - it's called survival in business and they used enthusiastically to sell NVA once until the Doc closed shop for a few years and then re-opened as a solo online trader...
cressy
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by cressy »

Learn something new every day :D
Never knew the bearings were assembled in that way
DSJR
User

#25 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by DSJR »

cressy wrote:Learn something new every day :D
Never knew the bearings were assembled in that way
The LV III was glued together as is the Ekos (all the first Ekos arms got the bearings stuck up with creeping adhesives I remember), but the LV II was made as I said, the fixing screws and green 'Stud-Loc' visible at the headshell joint and where the arm tube met the bearing assembly. The vertical bearing shaft was held at one side only, the end holding the tracking force dial being free. Tightening a cartridge in situ, mainly one with a metal body, would cause visible slight twisting motion, and bending of the bearing shaft. I'm not making it up and in fact, this 'held at one end' was a positive feature as clamping the shaft at each end did funny things to resonances in the structure- apparently..
guy
User

#26 Re: Ittok/new cartridge

Post by guy »

DSJR wrote: ......

What a shame you got sucked into dealer hype Guy. Signals is the very essence of the Doc's rantings on the other forum we both frequent, selling ever-worse sounding gear the more thousands you give them - it's called survival in business and they used enthusiastically to sell NVA once until the Doc closed shop for a few years and then re-opened as a solo online trader...
Not sure how I got "sucked in" Dave?

DV10X5 is a cartridge I have used before and liked a great deal.

It sells for £499 at every source I could find.

I paid £367 for cartridge and fitting by trading in my old buggered DV20

Ittok was removed for cartridge fitting by chap at Signals who has been trained by Linn, no additional charge (so sidestepped part of my original question relating to the Ittok).

They are about a twenty/thirty minute drive from where I live, whole process from initial contact to back home fitted done in about two days.