Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

Rather than pollute Steve's Mayware rebuild thread any further I've started a new one for Ant's latest build. I've had a Lenco L75 stashed away for a while in need of a decent plinth. I've been thinking about variations of PTPs and even Shane's Fakedeck, but Ant had built something along the lines I'd been thinking (which Steve is now using) and as time is my enemy it seemed a pragmatic move to commission Ant. Besides, he's made a much better job of it than I would...

Here are a couple of photos. They're not the best and don't really do Ant's work justice TBF but I'm about to dash out again.

Part of the pragmatism is a turntable that the boss can use. That means an arm with lift rather than a 12" ebony wand Schroeder-a-like that you have to hand lower and lift. I had fancied an Audiomods, but Ant suggested trying the Ekos I had laying around. It's probably a sign of the audio madness many of us wallow in that I've mounted a Kontrapunkt B that I also had laying around. (Guilty your honour.)

So how does it sound? Early days, but rather good! I'm still getting used to the Ekos/Kontra B after the ebony wand and 103pro, and they seems rather sensitive to setup so I think there's still work to do. But in the hour or so I've listened to it since Monday evening I like!

But the boss thinks it looks good so that's quite an achievement after years of my breadboards and hairshirt lash-ups.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Simon. :)

I must congratulate Ant (again) for the workmanship on these Lenco conversions. 8)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#3 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by Greg »

Looks lovely. Well done Ant! As this is a very different Lenco conversion with the chassis being cut down significantly and the mounting of the motor in a different position, I'm wondering how it compares with a Garrard 401? It certainly has WAF and would bring some feminine approval here although there is no chance of total WAF for any of my kit in the lounge......never ever!

Any thoughts on TT comparison, please let me know. Thank you.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by Paul Barker »

I don't think Steve's gives anything away to a 401. will be at least bighting at the heels. Best Lenco I heard yet.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

Difficult one to say at this time Greg as I'm still getting used to it. FWIW, and I reserve the right to completely change my mind later ;-), the arm cart combo make it quite difficult to compare. I'm hearing more detail in familiar recordings with the Lenco, but I think the 401 sounds more natural.

But I put this difference down to the arm and cart, which are very different beasts. Whereas i really like the 103pro (and i know you dont like the 103 family) I've never really got on with the Kontra, but I don't think I've had it as good as this.

What I would say about the 401 compared to the L75 is that both are very good, but I'm inclined to think the L75 has a little more 'direct drive' about it, that effortless rhythm, compared to an idler which tanks along.

What ant's plinth and cut down top plate seem to do really well is make the Lenco rock solid.

But it's all subjective and I could be talking rollocks!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Looks good tho' dunnit!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
cressy
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by cressy »

Im glad its doing its stuff for you simon, i was on tenterhooks to see how it would integrate with your system :?
A few things that i would look at with it would definitely be that platter mat mi dad got. There was a definite improvement doing an a-b with the same track. It wasnt night and day, but it was clearly there as an improvement.

Also, i designed the plinth to sink as much energy as possible out through the spikes it has rather than feet.
When i spun it up for you here i had it on a ruddy great lump of slate which i have used under all my decks for the past 8 years.

I dont know if you could plonk it on the bottom tier of your garrards plinth? The shoes for the spikes mean it shouldnt scratch it

I keep telling mi dad to put his on a green granite slab he has in the garden. He hasnt yet though.....

Glad youre happy with it

Cheers ant
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yep, that neoprene platter mat is well worth having.
With the Kontra, chucking energy about, I reckon a "high stiction" mat
would be just what the doctor ordered.
I could bring my Lenco/Mayware/Shure round for a comparison, if you fancy a go with the mat as well.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

cressy wrote:When i spun it up for you here i had it on a ruddy great lump of slate
Yeah I noticed it first time I popped round. Nice and thick. I suspect it might make quite a difference...

Where did you get it from?
Last edited by simon on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

Cressy Snr wrote:Yep, that neoprene platter mat is well worth having.
With the Kontra, chucking energy about, I reckon a "high stiction" mat
would be just what the doctor ordered.
I could bring my Lenco/Mayware/Shure round for a comparison, if you fancy a go with the mat as well.
I need to try one of those mats :-).

That would be really interesting Steve. We could compare the Sinatra lps too. And if you like we could also try the balanced Buffalo DAC if you bring your amps - I'd really like to hear these at home too.
cressy
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by cressy »

I got it from a local kitchen fitting firm that has since ceased to be.
I did speak to these guys recently who gave me a very reasonable quote for a piece for the g99 to go in. They are local to me, so not too far from you
http://www.hoylanddismantling.co.uk/pro ... stones.php
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote:
Cressy Snr wrote: That would be really interesting Steve. We could compare the Sinatra lps too. And if you like we could also try the balanced Buffalo DAC if you bring your amps - I'd really like to hear these at home too.
Sounds good Simon.
Just PM me with a date, It's the school hols so I'm free whenever, apart from this Saturday.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

Did I say the bass is huge! :-) Deep and firm and pretty unflappable it seems. I increased the VTA yesterday and that did seem to make a nice difference, so I think it's very revealing of setup.

Right now I'm spinning Sigur Ros' Takk. It's a bit of a beast of a recording, very dense and layered, and can sound rough around the edges and muddled. I'm hearing significant insight into what was going on in the recording studio, more than ever before; instruments have much better definition and there's now some space between them whereas it's only ever been a wall of noise. Very interesting.

[Blimey, the attack that the band's just displayed took me a little by surprise - the switch from layered melodic acoustica to electric rock had some ooompf! But the sound has stayed together and coherent and not broken down as it usually does when the complexity increases.]

Mmmmm. Very interesting. It might even be time to dig out James' Metallica torture track.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

Cressy Snr wrote:Sounds good Simon.
Just PM me with a date, It's the school hols so I'm free whenever, apart from this Saturday.
I'll have a look at the calender and let you know. Should be a good session.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh, Sigur Ros ... , guy at work has been plugging his work to me in last few weeks. Need to educate myself !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"