Turntable stand

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Super list Colin, but can you find the Audio Talk threads as well?

Just a detail I know

Edited 16:38

Just found one which i have added to list above
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Superb. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Looking good chaps.

Question:

I can't find this answer from the info I have but what is the toroidal voltage for the WD Phono 3 PSU?

I ask as I have a brand new ILP Toroidal, 2 x 15V windings, and at least 120VA which if the WD Phono 3 needs 15V or 30V would save me a few pennies.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

floppybootstomp wrote:Looking good chaps.

Question:

I can't find this answer from the info I have but what is the toroidal voltage for the WD Phono 3 PSU?

I ask as I have a brand new ILP Toroidal, 2 x 15V windings, and at least 120VA which if the WD Phono 3 needs 15V or 30V would save me a few pennies.
The Transformer is 0-270volts@60mA HT and 0-9volts Heater if you can't get one from WD then you can use two transformers back to back wall side 230v 9volts middle valve heaters 230 volt out For HT or check out Mike Hs site for a Transformer i.e. Code Code VT426 will most likely do but check with mike H to be sure http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/xfrmrvt426.php
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Thanks Colin.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ah yes the ol' Maplin Newton pre-amp TX

The 15V winding was so's you can have 12.6V DC for ECC83's etc., using a regulator, natch. :D

I still use that for my phono and it will eventually run the tone control / line driver as well (if I finish it :roll: )

Appendix
It's in a separate PSU box which I would recommend. As I believe WD's also has a separate PSU unit.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Ah yes the ol' Maplin Newton pre-amp TX

The 15V winding was so's you can have 12.6V DC for ECC83's etc., using a regulator, natch. :D

I still use that for my phono and it will eventually run the tone control / line driver as well (if I finish it :roll: )

Appendix
It's in a separate PSU box which I would recommend. As I believe WD's also has a separate PSU unit.

Ah right its 15 volts tony needs 9 volts into a 78S05 5volt regulator for 6.3 volts won.t 15 volts be too high for that regulator
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

colin.hepburn wrote:
Mike H wrote:Ah yes the ol' Maplin Newton pre-amp TX

Appendix

Ah right its 15 volts tony needs 9 volts into a 78S05 5volt regulator for 6.3 volts won.t 15 volts be too high for that regulator
Ah no the 7805CV regulator spec sheet says VIN max is 35 volts so 15 volts in from the transformer should be fine so the VT426 on mikes site would be fine but you still need a choke of 15H@20mA or better not sure if mike can help there as well
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=0633026
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

My 15-0-15 is a bit huge just for a heater supply, lol, like using a hammer to crack an egg ;)

It's 110 dia and 60 high and weighs quite a lot too.

It was left over from when I built a series of stereo slave amps for a PA system. It was one of a pair bought to power each channel of a 100w per channel amp to drive a pair of horns. Then I realised one transformer was sufficient to drive both modules.

I can't find any trace of ILP on the Net so I would assume they're not going any longer.

In the very near future I intend to ask WD how much the PCB's are for the phono stage and PSU, see what parts I already have and source some cases and a TX, amongst other things.

And I have just applied the first coat of varnish to my turntable stand :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote: Ah right its 15 volts tony needs 9 volts into a 78S05 5volt regulator for 6.3 volts won.t 15 volts be too high for that regulator
That's 15V r.m.s. AC out of the winding, more like 20V DC after rectified and onto an elec cap

Just went and looked at the original first prototype power board for it (which amazingly I've still got :D )

We used a L7812 regulator (12V) with a diode under the 0V pin to lift it an extra 0.6V.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote:volts in from the transformer should be fine so the VT426 on mikes site would be fine but you still need a choke of 15H@20mA or better not sure if mike can help there as well
Well there is this:

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/xfrmrvt1314.php

My phono's using two as CLCLC (C = 100uF)

(Essentially copied from an identical WAD item I just happened to have acquired but shhhh ....)

Edited
Reason for edit: balls-up in the quotes dep.t
Last edited by Mike H on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Incidentally why 6.3V for the heaters? Assuming the valves are ECC8?, I assume they are ~ only cos it's only half the current at 12.6V.

'Smatter of fact, even tho mine's using 6SL7/6SN7 they're still run off 12.6V (by virtue if being in series)

Just a thought

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote: Ah right its 15 volts tony needs 9 volts into a 78S05 5volt regulator for 6.3 volts won.t 15 volts be too high for that regulator
That's 15V r.m.s. AC out of the winding, more like 20V DC after rectified and onto an elec cap

Just went and looked at the original first prototype power board for it (which amazingly I've still got :D )

We used a L7812 regulator (12V) with a diode under the 0V pin to lift it an extra 0.6V.

Hi Mike
Yep I suppose the heaters could be wired for 12.6 volts But i think it may be better for tony to build it's as is on the Schematic for a first time build I think your VT426 TX would be ok with the 7805CT but just having to change R1/R6 on The HT for 250Volts
Attachments
WAD Phono3 PSU.JPG
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Too Much Confusion Alert

Yes put like that I see what you mean :D

Well it's an option for a mod later on perhaps

floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I think I'll take the easy route, lol

I wasn't born clever, I had to learn.

I learnt that after the sixth kick, it helped to kick back ;)

Which may be a good analogy but probably isn't.

In short, I'll probably get a TX that does the job off the shelf rather than fef about modding stuff.