Thorens TD150 and the Road to Vinyl Bliss

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Woah hold on, you mean you've now tried two completely different TT's and two completely different carts and it's the same? Image

Well unlikely to be a valve as they're usually pretty neutral, more likely a component. Is it possible to change the mica cap for polystyrene?

Is it poss to see a circuit of the phono amp?
Hi Mike
mite it be that i still have the phono II running at the higher H.T 272 as aposs to 250volts
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.ma ... no3crt.pdf
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Possible, but unlikely I would think. Did you use 1% resistors and caps in the phono stage?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Nick wrote:Possible, but unlikely I would think. Did you use 1% resistors and caps in the phono stage?
Hi Nick
Yep all Holco 1% and silver mica for C14/15/16/17
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What are the coupling caps?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Nick wrote:What are the coupling caps?
All Cap used are as follows
C10/11 0.1uf 630VSQNIQS SAX Polypropylene
C18/19 2.2uf 630VSQNIQS SAX Polypropylene
C12/13 10uf SOLEN 630V Polypropylene
for C14/15/16/17 silver mica
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

colin.hepburn wrote:
Nick wrote:What are the coupling caps?
All Cap used are as follows
C10/11 0.1uf 630VSQNIQS SAX Polypropylene
C18/19 2.2uf 630VSQNIQS SAX Polypropylene
C12/13 10uf SOLEN 630V Polypropylene
for C14/15/8.2pf C16/17 220pf silver mica
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

All looks fine. does CD give a similar problem?
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Still think it's worth swapping the Soniqs for something else. They might not be the cause of what you are hearing, but they may be exaggerating the effect.
Much to learn there is.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Nick wrote:All looks fine. does CD give a similar problem?
Hi Nick
Well I looking at the problems here again running the CD player in the system the CD player still has some sibilance on shop buy CDs I tried some downloaded WAV files burnt on to CD although the sibilance are there but much less so
I also tried the CD player out of the system connecting the headphones directly to the line out to try and eliminate system cables this just confirmed what I said above just the same
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Image It's your ears?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Image It's your ears?
well you could be right perhaps i am becoming over sensitive to the top end frequency hash :shock: although the goldring 1042 top end is nice and smooth in the modded Rega but something it too sensitive in the system still
I add that the main amps tone controls are switched out of circuit as tone controls are just distortion filters i do not use them but the headphone amp just has a volume control
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I know you mention having metal film resistors in the phono, albeit, Holcos, could be a bit sharp sounding?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

colin.hepburn wrote:
Mike H wrote:Image It's your ears?
well you could be right perhaps i am becoming over sensitive to the top end frequency hash :shock: although the goldring 1042 top end is nice and smooth in the modded Rega but something it too sensitive in the system still
I add that the main amps tone controls are switched out of circuit as tone controls are just distortion filters i do not use them but the headphone amp just has a volume control
Ok just tried an experiment
Downloaded Nicks Samples 0/1 Converted to WAV burnt to CD @192 Kbps not to see if I can tell a difference between them but to try and assess my system with something fresh I hadn't heard before thinking this would eliminate my expectations of what I was hearing from my own Cd's
Well first it sounded bright and on the following words were sibilance
Times: Bells Said: Paradise: Suite :Strip
on both track samples played on main system and on valve H/amp :?:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

ive been following this thread and your sibilance problems colin, and tbh id now be pointing the finger for the sibilance firmly at the amp. if the tt, cd and either speakers or headphones are all showing up this sibilance the only common thing is the amp. i cant account for sibilance with the direct connection to the head amp, but id say thats the problem, having chased the same thing for a long time, it changed when i ditched the mf a3 amp i had for the rocky. what amp is it?
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

cressy wrote:ive been following this thread and your sibilance problems colin, and tbh id now be pointing the finger for the sibilance firmly at the amp. if the tt, cd and either speakers or headphones are all showing up this sibilance the only common thing is the amp. i cant account for sibilance with the direct connection to the head amp, but id say thats the problem, having chased the same thing for a long time, it changed when i ditched the mf a3 amp i had for the rocky. what amp is it?
Hi Cressy
The main amp at the mo is a NAD 352 C
Well I would have gone with your view as well ant but for the fact my 12B4A Valve Headphone Amp is the same with TT or the Arcam /Marantz CD players plugged in to it I just took it to be badly recorded CDs At first but now it would appear not to be
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage