Thorens TD150 and the Road to Vinyl Bliss

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

You can of course juggle around with the values as necessary.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

But why not use the tone controls on the amp, they are doing exactly the same thing in the same way?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

colin.hepburn wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:Well there's one thing you could do in the meantime that I have only just thought of.

Turn down the treble on the NAD amp. It might just take the edge off things for the time being. :)

Steve
I never use the EQ its switched out of circuit tone defeat button on all the time just don't like tone controls can try it thou but I think it would bug me knowing theirs a filter switched in allthe time
Hmm.... well with a speaker crossover you have a filter in all the time, Colin's Fonkens and MLTLs use an Lpad to adjust the level of the supertweeter and with a phono stage you have extreme eq at the bottom and top going on all the time or your records would sound hideously bright. I can't see given all the processing that goes on when playing records that tweaking the treble down on the amp is going to be a catastrophe.

Just my two penn'orth

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Maybe what Colin means he doesn't like tone control pots? Which can be a bit of an unknown quantity, depending how good they are

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

OK Why I don't use tone controls just my preference being a minimalist as most EQ is of poor quality ether active or passive passive being the worst also adding EQ is only distorting the single all EQ should be done by the musicians and or sound engineer Prier to master recording as EQ is just a tone generator best example I can think of is a disco when all you can hear is one note thumping bass and high levels of treble and no midrange :shock:
Added Bass into home hi fi just excites the room and becomes a bass trap and destroys imaging and detail come to that just masking the sound was it DNS at the time I think that just had a pre/with mono volume pots to each channel fed to the power amps
Just my view on tone controls
:) :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Won't hurt to just try it and see what the result is ! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, as Phil says why not see if the tone controls help your problem with sibilance. I only suggested using the tone controls as you were starting to look at adding a low pass filter which is after all just another eq added to the signal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

pre65 wrote:Won't hurt to just try it and see what the result is ! :wink:
Oops sorry i forgot to say i switched in the treble and backed it off but all this does is the sibilance sounded flat and muddy and distorted better to have it as is Although thats not good ether :shock: :(
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

I will try to post a link later with some sound samples WAV files so you can have some idea what is going on with the sound
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

colin.hepburn wrote:I will try to post a link later with some sound samples WAV files so you can have some idea what is going on with the sound
Well i have some sample tracks i can post a link to if i onlycould figure out how i do this anyone got an idea what software to use :oops:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Erm, can you add them as attachments? Or aren't we allowed to attach WAV's to a post? Image

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If you can't you should be able to zip them up and attach, but there is a limit to the size.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote:OK Why I don't use tone controls just my preference being a minimalist as most EQ is of poor quality ether active or passive passive being the worst also adding EQ is only distorting the single all EQ should be done by the musicians and or sound engineer Prier to master recording as EQ is just a tone generator
Yes I agree entirely, problem is, I've got several recordings that are basically unlistenable because the tonal balance is so cock-eyed. So what does that say about the engineers? :D

This happens to be a problem I've been wrestling with for a long time, how to contrive a tone control system that doesn't stamp it's presence all over everything.

Which reminds me there's an unfinished project somewhere...

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:If you can't you should be able to zip them up and attach, but there is a limit to the size.
Still waiting in suspenders!

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:
Nick wrote:If you can't you should be able to zip them up and attach, but there is a limit to the size.
Still waiting in suspenders!
Hi Mike

Still trying to figure out how to link them to here I need a FPT software I think to do it right :study:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage