Old Sony CD Player

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Old Sony CD Player

Post by Cressy Snr »

After joining Apple music and making sure my CD rips were well out of the reach of iCloud, I am now happy with the digital universe in the context of my own system.
On a whim, I decided to dig under the bed in the spare bedroom for my dusty old Sony CDP-XB930 QS player and revive it, just to see how it compared to my computer audio system. Had forgotten how damned heavy the thing is; its built like the proverbial brick outhouse:
I just used the analogue outputs into the balanced output passive, rather than going via my MF DAC.
It sounds fantastic through the monos and Mets and with digital filter 2 engaged, simply plays music.
After comparing the some tracks via the internal DAC and via the MF DAC, The CD player's internal DAC sounds quite a bit better than the standalone MF DAC; the MF sounding somewhat bland in comparison.
A few of you chaps have tried to put me onto this DAC issue, both at Owston and at Colin's place, and I can sort of see what you mean.
The MF DAC is good just a bit soulless in comparison to the Sony. I am sure "soulless" was an adjective used by Andrew L at Colin's a while back when describing the sound of my pp amp/DAC combo, through Colin's speakers. I thought it was the amp, Andrew suspected the DAC. Seems Andrew was right on it.
I still like the sound of the computer audio side but now, I could do with a new DAC, preferably non - upsampling if the sound of the Sony is anything to go by. We'll see what happens first though; I could be equating different with better.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by IslandPink »

Some of those older players have got very good midrange tone. I had ( for a while ) a Technics my brother in law lent me, wanted to keep it !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
cressy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by cressy »

I used a technics sl ps 50 for a long time, that was a lovely thing. So was the meridian mcd I used to have
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Mike H »

:thumbright:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mudshark
Old Hand

#5 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Mudshark »

Avoid like the fukin plague...Old Sony........ This cop cats have it sussed by COPLAND.

Superb.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by pre65 »

Mudshark wrote:Avoid like the fukin plague...
Why ?

I've an old Yamaha CD player (CDX810) it it's not half bad with the built in DAC.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by cressy »

Im using an ancient philips cd160 and that sounds nice too
DSJR
User

#8 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by DSJR »

Wasn't that Sony machine one that moved the mech rather than the laser? Others I trust liked it too.

I still think power supplies are the thing. The old Denon 1520 I use in the workroom for CD's (integrated player for testing and as a transport for proper listening as I think the audio output inverts phase, making it sound washed out I thought) has something like five regulators in it and large (for a source) supply and coupling caps all over it. The Micro Seiki player I have still sounds amazing and this and the donor base Philips/Marantz chassis also had generous supplies inside.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, the mechanism moves, the laser is fixed.
It has a substantial drawer that moves the whole mechanism out when the CD is ejected or needs to be inserted.
The CD is held in place by a large magnetic puck.
It sounds excellent with the digital filter # 2 selected by the small rotary switch on the front panel.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#10 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Mudshark »

Old Sony.............Dont do it.

:shock:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's already mine Jammy, I bought it new, years ago.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#12 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Mudshark »

Pong may it last,o,palst.

Been there done it.......regretted it.

Great though....Some of the best sounds ive ever heard.

Whilst the fuker worked.

:D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by Ali Tait »

I have a Teac P30 transport which is by far the best CD I've ever heard.

Having the prototype of Nick's dac doesn't hurt of course.. :D
guy
User

#14 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by guy »

Hi Cressy snr,

I bought the same model on ebay a couple of years ago. I never found the playback mode switch thingamy made any difference (could be my age) and found the treble a little strident for my tastes.

However, I mentioned my purchase and thoughts on HFS and a very nice chap "istari_knight" offered to do some mods for me on the output stage.

If you are technical this link outlines Jame's mods:

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... 0&start=80

I now enjoy listening to CD (although I think that the NVA amps help with the experience - possibly the passive pre?)

Regards. Guy.
DSJR
User

#15 Re: Old Sony CD Player

Post by DSJR »

Mudshark wrote:Old Sony.............Dont do it.

:shock:
Jammy, you did a very silly thing in chucking that 777 out recently in a fit of pique. It could have been fixable and would have been worth doing so! You could have sent it to Uncle dave for bodging and I'd have given it a great loving home.

Bah humbug!