Ooh, what's this ?

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Greg
Social outcast

#16 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote:I'm hearing some stuff on Bowie CD's I've not noticed on Vinyl :shock:
Well, being very into streaming these days, and recently listening to the Bowie catalogue, I've been hearing some stuff from Bowie I've not noticed before on LP and CD :shock: :shock:

Honest.......it's true.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#17 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote:
IslandPink wrote: Some of you with DIY DACs based on the AK4396 might want to try an output stage like this one .....
..like what one? I can't see anyfink! :)
That's what normally happens when you shut your eyes silly.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by IslandPink »

For Nick's benefit -
"5687 hiding in plain view "
Just found the missing RCA 5687 of a pair, hiding next to the phono amp in a red box like the other. I think it'd been there so long I'd developed a blind spot to it :D

Greg, there's a wealth of good musical ideas in Bowie's catalogue and it often shows differently on CD vs. Vinyl systems . One of the big tester tracks for me is the tilte track of Diamond Dogs, which can sound terrible on many systems but occasionally sounds great.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

I remember a review of Diamond Dogs in "Audio" magazine around 1974.

These are a few choice quotes I remember concerning the the sound quality.

"The instruments wash around like last year's blankets in a wardrobe full of cotton wool"
"effects are layered in, one on top of the other; so much so that it's nigh on impossible to hear what the hell is supposed to be going on. It's as if they had 32 tracks so that's what they were going to use; every last one of them and damn the consequences"

"Bowie and Ken Scott did most of the mixes; fine, if that's how they wanted it, it's a winner, a smash, but can you honestly say it's valid after the sonic and artistic excellence of his previous works?"

Er.....I don't think the reviewer liked it. :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

#20 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Greg »

Interesting. Diamond Dogs was the last Bowie vinyl I bought. A few of us have a session here tomorrow so might give the album a trial. However, my reason for not continuing with his catalogue was because he changed image/style and his ability to do this has, over the course of time been shown to be his enduring strength. I do have one or two of his later albums on vinyl now (second hand) but don't often listen to them. The convenience of streaming and his unexpected demise has caused me to listen to a lot more of his stuff and to be sure, he was a recreationist master. Without doubt, most of his later stuff has musical attribute even if it's not to personal taste, yet some of it was quite uniquely genius.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, DD is my least favourite of the Bowie albums I have.
I bought it on the strength of "Rebel Rebel".....oh dear, the rest of the album is nothing like that track, and "Rebel Rebel" is one of the better, if not the best sounding tracks on the album. Of course I didn't know that at the time because my own system was let's say, not very good.
The contrast between DD and "Pinups" It was no contest for me as a 70s teen. Pinups was a far superior effort, even though the songs were Bowie's interpretations of 60s mod and R&B tunes, rather than Bowie originals.

I liked his "plastic soul" period of "Young Americans" and "Station to Station" Even Sir Elton tried to get in on it with Kiki Dee and later "Philadelphia Freedom" and a cover of the Detroit Spinners " Are you Ready for Love?" but his efforts were pale by comparison.

The following, Low and Heroes were too much for my, by then, R&B/Soul soul, and I began to lose track of him after that.
But as you say Greg, Bowie produced moments of pure genius, whatever period he was operating within.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by IslandPink »

I think if the amp is 'fast' and has good bass tone then Diamond Dogs shows well in palces - I reckon there's three or four good tracks on there including the title track.

Meanwhile I've swapped-in a pair of Bud Purvine PP step-downs in place of the Sowters - Nick dug them out for me.
It's a tough call ( so far ) . I remembered liking the Purvine outputs more than the Sowters in the prototype unit(s) at Owston once, but now I'm not so sure. Will have to try on various speakers, then go back to the Sowters and see where I am.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by IslandPink »

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but next week is national "Take your DAC on holiday" week. I shall certainly be taking part.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#24 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by Paul Barker »

I'd rather stay home with my dac than go on holliday. I have now come to learn I am a bit odd.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

#25 Re: Ooh, what's this ?

Post by shane »

That depends on the context. In terms of the outside world we're all a little strange, but in the confines of this forum I'd say you were pretty normal. Thank god for odd!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.