Dac's not producing sound.

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#31 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Ali Tait »

Hope you get it sorted Paul, never had a problem with a dac luckily. Used to have issues with a Squeezebox misbehaving itself, but other than that no problems. It is bloody frustrating though. Put some vinyl on. :-)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Ali Tait wrote: Put some vinyl on. :-)
As luck would have it my air bearing arm is mistracking.

I need to find the time to set up the Mayware again.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#33 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Ali Tait »

Just fitted a Mission 774 arm and a Denon DL S1 cart. Fantastic. Best vinyl by far I've heard at home.
Paul Barker

#34 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Nice to hear some good news.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#35 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Ali Tait »

Still a work in progress, need to make a spacer, but it's a helluva arm IMHO. Makes my Tecnoarm sound broken.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote:Just fitted a Mission 774 arm and a Denon DL S1 cart. Fantastic. Best vinyl by far I've heard at home.
Seems there were 3 versions of that arm, all different.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

#37 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh dear, it's doing exactly the same on two different cheap dac's now.

So there is a problem elsewhere, not with the DAC itself.

If my home broadband isn't up to scratch, could it be that there are brakes in the audio stream to the Apple TV? The light of the Apple TV stays on, but could it be connected to broadband sufficient not to indicate a problem, yet the audio stream is paused?

Ok so I have a 10 gig a month 4g contract, so I'll connect up Apple TV with that, and see if the problem is solved.
Paul Barker

#38 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

That's answered it. It was my Wifi. So now I have to eat 'umble pi with the eBay seller.

Who would have thought of that? Well me ac Shirley, 'cause out of us lot, I was the first to suggest it.

Sweet, so now I am listening to the Spitfire DAC and it is uninterrupted and sounds great!

Now the story of my broadband is: As a Business user something like 10 years ago, with my business mobile contract Orange offered FREE broadband as long as ever I stayed with them for phone contract. So here I am with 10 years free broadband and counting, but it is crap! However Free is Free.

So for music streaming I shall be using my 10gig a month Ipad 4g as the server.

Anyway I didn't want the Apple TV for watching television, I wanted it for this purpose, so I shan't be using a lot of data.

Glad it's sorted out.
Paul Barker

#39 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Before anyone asks, my 10 gig contract is automatically blocked when it is used. So if AppleTV decides to update it won't bankrupt me.

I can switch it to household wifi most of the time, just switch it to 4g wifi when I am listening to my music.

Shocking finding, but glad it's sorted.

Just goes to show how good 4g is in my house! Better than the same network's broadband. Also demonstrates a shortcoming of the apple TV system.
Paul Barker

#40 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

The timing of one's wife is just perfect.

"How can I use your thing to play music?"

Well you see that little box under the telly....

oh forget it.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#41 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote:
Ali Tait wrote:Just fitted a Mission 774 arm and a Denon DL S1 cart. Fantastic. Best vinyl by far I've heard at home.
Seems there were 3 versions of that arm, all different.
The one I have is the original John Bicht design,mine has the solid counterweight, which is fairly rare apparently.

I believe the later versions were more cheaply made and don't sound anywhere near as good.
Paul Barker

#42 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Since its my thread and nobody else seems bothered to keep it on topic, thought I'd drift it a little instead of starting a new thread.

A while back Nick made me one of the Nelson Pass amplifiers. I forget which one it is. Nick'll know.

For reasons I won't go into I had to break out the Pass Amp again.

I must say that the synergy of this new Spitfire DAC to the Pass amp is the best synergy I have had for that amplifier to date. Really loving it, and the Marty Feldman Speakers are producing their best sounds to date.

Now I am pretty certain that The Cresswel Balanced PP amp would show it the door. But it would take an amp of that quality to do so at this present time.

True that my low powered SE amplifiers do some things a lot better, as a whole package this amplifier synergises best with this DAC and these speakers.

Tonight I am achieving DAC output with the home broadband. IT is a fickle broadband. Tonight it is on the money. Possibly because my son has gone out!

I am still planning to build the push pull amplifier, and probably another GM70 SE amplifier. But not in such a hurry.

The OTL amplifier is also very good but to be fair to it these speakers are not sensetive enough for 1.5 Watts. The compression is obvious, though the OTL SE design has an interesting sound when the signal exceeds it's amplification capability. It compresses the output, rather than going mushy like the usual SE amplifier. Whether that is due to OPT absence or feedback or something else I know not.
Nick
Site Admin

#43 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Nick »

A while back Nick made me one of the Nelson Pass amplifiers. I forget which one it is. Nick'll know.
F5
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#44 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Nick.
Paul Barker

#45 Re: Dac's not producing sound.

Post by Paul Barker »

My Beresford came home today and is working fine, no drop outs. Stan listened to it for a few days after he did the firmware upgrade or whatever it's called he did.

Just checked his email, "pcb's needs a little mod so that it can be updated with the
Latest firmware!"

Nice of him to do that for the cost of postage.

Good customer service that.