Audio Note CD3.1x FAIL ... false alarm

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Audio Note CD3.1x FAIL ... false alarm

Post by IslandPink »

I'm in a very bad mood !
I have no phono front-end at the moment as my tonearm is being re-wired.
Last night I connected-up the Audio Note CD player, and it's on the blink . It just hunts around on the disc, giving me blips of music here and there, without settling down and latching on to any track . I perservered with it for about 10 mins, hoping it would warm up or settle down, but no luck .

I guess it's not been used for ages, but that shouldn't really be a problem , should it ?

I've had it about 2 years, it was a refurbished unit bought from Heatherdale Audio .

So, I have no music at all in the house :(
Last edited by IslandPink on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

May be a silly question but I presume you tried more than 1 disc?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

When I was having troubles with an old Teac player, I was told to clean the cd lens with a cotton bud. It seemed to work as there was visibly a dust build-up.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, i did Mike. I tried three.
Maybe I'll switch it on for an hour or two, later, then try it, see if the transport frees-up in some way .
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Whats the transport in them?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

It's weird that you don't use it for a while, then it doesn't want to work :?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I have a heavily tweaked Naim CD3, some of you heard at the last Owston. I have found that if I switch it off for any length of time, it won't work on first switch on. It needs a bit of time. Could this be caps reforming? In consequence, I leave it on in standby all the time which I don't like in these days of energy conservation but it is the only way I have found for it to work whenever I need it to.

My advise to Mark is to clean the laser lens as already suggested and then leave it powered up for a day or two and see if that works. Thereafter, it's down to serious fault finding.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oo-er!

Lens cleaning needs to be done delicately, at the mo I favour say a fine artist's paint brush and alcohol solution like for cleaning spectacles.

Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Mike H wrote:Lens cleaning needs to be done delicately, at the mo I favour say a fine artist's paint brush and alcohol solution like for cleaning spectacles.
It's not difficult. As you suggest, IPL works fine. The outer lens is glass so no damage can readily be done and a fine brush or even a cotton bud or soft cloth works well. Access depends on the the construction. In my case, the laser lens is staring me in the face when the Naim CD3 drawer is open.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry I was slow to respond - my computer went into sulk mode where it won't accept any input from the keyboard - mouse-only operation . Very frustrating .

I've just got around to putting on the player for a while, I'll report back later if it wakes up, then consider going inside and seeing how to get at the lens. Is this a ticky job ? - how much do I have to dis-assemble to reach the lens ?

I think the AN kit uses Philips transports, from a few comments found via Google . At least they did a few years ago .
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Just BTW probably not a good idea to squirt aerosol switch cleaner into the works at least not while it's switched on, I did that to a computer CD drive once with the result that the focus motor spewed all its enamelled wire out all over the shop and the laser lens went black. Instant scrap..... :shock:

But still was replaced with a CD writer, so I could make CD's for the first time, so not all bad. :D

Anyway just mean to say when you find it, it won't take too much heavy-handed poking about.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Mike.
Haven't even had to take the cover off. The unit was just sulking after not being played for about a year ! ( as Greg suggested ) .
A couple of hours warming up this afternoon and now it's playing :D
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Good news, Mark. :D
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Way-hay! :thumbleft:

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Having said that it's working, it does seem remarkably picky about which discs it will play , more than before .
Nick suggested it might need a new laser ; so, I took the lid off to have a look at the transport and identify .
By the way, the lens looks fine, quite clean .

Attached below, two pics of the transport.
I can't see any identifying labels or stamped info on the parts , anywhere - so maybe someone more experienced can tell me what type it is ?
Attachments
AN_Transport1.JPG
AN_transport2.JPG