A Silly Question That Must Be Asked

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Freddo
User

#1 A Silly Question That Must Be Asked

Post by Freddo »

I've recently built some large speakers that, to my ears, sound absolutely outstanding. Better than anything I've heard--ever. And they're from a design on this website.

And get this; I'm feeding them with a Denon AVR9100 receiver and an old Pioneer dvd player!

With a budget limit of about 250 quid, is there any CD player anyone could recommend that would sound much better than the Pioneer dvd player?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Have you considered going digital ?

(ie converting your CDs to FLAC files on a hard drive and using a media player like Sonus or Squeezebox)

PS What are the speakers ? :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Try using the DAC in the receiver against the analog output of the DVD, see if there is a difference. Maybe look at one of the cheap DAC kits off ebay, maybe look at the t-amps and that sort of thing. What I am suggesting is may be able to get more improvements by keeping the DVD as a digital source and updating what follows.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote:Try using the DAC in the receiver against the analog output of the DVD, see if there is a difference. Maybe look at one of the cheap DAC kits off ebay, maybe look at the t-amps and that sort of thing. What I am suggesting is may be able to get more improvements by keeping the DVD as a digital source and updating what follows.
Thats true Nick, i've tried loads of cd/dvd players and i've now got the veiw that any old player can be pretty good as long as a good external dac is used, the differences are quite big as you know... But some of the budget dacs i've had have made little difference
The new bushmaster i would guess would be in there, i would guess yours is slight over the budget..
and with a t amp... i bought a caseless t amp for £30
It gets used off a 12 vt battery, sounds much better than it should for the cost
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Those EBay AK4393/4396 DACs take some beating at that price , even in standard form. :)

I still use a first generation Yamaha CD player in my office system.

Edmund Burke

Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions;I'll give some of them a try.

Pre65: I'd love to tell you what the speakers are but I can't. The designer didn't give details so I had to work it out myself. And I have to respect his wishes to keep the design private.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Freddo wrote:
Pre65: I'd love to tell you what the speakers are but I can't. The designer didn't give details so I had to work it out myself. And I have to respect his wishes to keep the design private.
Say no more, nudge nudge. :wink: :lol:

Edmund Burke