pioneer PD-S801 CD Player

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#1 pioneer PD-S801 CD Player

Post by colin.hepburn »

Just got another CD player a pioneer PD-S801 and it's in excellent as new order which will be good for a lampizator upgrade has if anyone has got one of these what's the verdict on it
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
Well this pioneer PD-S801 CD is Quite and player even in its standard of the self mode is has a well balanced sound to it and excellent wide imaging much better than my Arcam 6 and Marantz CD but my Marantz 52mkII SE can give it a good run for the money

{_Perhaps as the 52SE is also a one Bit-stream as is the PD'S 801 however the 801 has the Legato Link Dac chip PD2028 x2 which may account for the wider stereo imaging the PD 2028 is also highly regarded by Lukasz Fikus of Lampizator
Sonically - the Pioneer is one of the best DACs ever made, definitely beating B-B PCM1702, PCM58, 56, and a couple of others. It is THAT GOOD his words not mine He also says that the 6H6P and PD2028 Pulse-flow Dac go to gather well

This 801 player has lots of upgrade potential like psu diode and bigger better caps in the psu
Upgrading and bypassing the caps around the Dacs and adding the coaxial output

And adding the Lampizator valve stage
Although he takes about upgrading the {PD-S 703 http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFEREN ... er703.html
most of the modes are the same except the PD-S801 is already an upgrade to the PD703 in that is has better pcbs and also twin transformers and four voltage regulators two for analog and two for digital section

I haven't yet had a look inside my 801 due to the sticker seal on the case I don't want to void the 90 day warranty just yet but here's a couple of images off the innards of the web

And
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage