Marantz CD52mk2

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Marantz CD52mk2

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've just handed over hard cash to the converters of cash for one of these.

I know you lot will say,'poor sap! its the mk2SE with fuel injection that is the bizzzzniss. All else is crap!'

welll I spose so but it plays, sounds reasonable, is huge an dheavy and has the transport that my £2000 Micromega has and the transport has conked out - so it may yet be usefu. The size is great, surely, to lampizate and do other mods? - dunno - we'll see.

£20 badly spent?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Absolute bargain Sir. :)

Mend the Micromega or go stripping and Lamping ?

Tough decision.

Buy another one and do both. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Just looked it up ~ welcome to the Marantz with Philips innards owners club. Image

And yes shouldn't cost more than 20 quid. :D

What went wrong with the Micromega one?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

worn out lens transport mechanism.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh piddle! :(

Try searchingh eBay for CDM4, there's few mechanisms on there.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

i bought one of those in the around 1990, was very good in its day

the denon dvd that i still use (at owston) was much better,

but I would guess a decent dac will bring it up to modern standards, or should i say better.. ..

not a bad buy for £20,

i few months ago i was given a sony dvd player from around 1999 it was more expensive than the denon that i use, and was in the same test in hifi world that prompted me to buy the denon,
on its own i would say it sounds better than the denon.. not used it with a dac yet as its been in the caravan, but i've been using the laptop and a T amp, seems good enough to me and much easier to travel with, so the sony will get a play through the dac when i get chance
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep I have marants CD52SE had it from new and it still Woking well it's a good contender for some tweaks I fear 8)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I've owned two of those and I still have one, imo they're a good machine.

I bought mine early nineties I think, both from Richer Sounds, one was supposedly shop-soiled and cheaper.

Both transport mechanisms failed. In each instance a nylon cog sheared most of it's teeth. When the first one went I threw it away. When the second one went a friend asked if he could have it, I gave it to him and he got the parts on E-Bay and repaired it.

I bought it back for £20.00 and I'm using it in my bedroom.

I used the pair of them for disco use for about ten years, really good, the cue, display, and time countdown came in handy.

I'd obviously be interested to hear of any tweaks you may make that result in improvement.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep forgot to say same thing happened with the Gog in mine I also got a replacement on eBay if you want to get a spare here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-CD-player ... 41515e4891 AS for tweaks not sure I want to my first CD player do I want to tamper with it we maybe for tweaks and parts lists see this link http://www.raylectronics.nl/index_en.html
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote:Yep forgot to say same thing happened with the Gog in mine I also got a replacement on eBay if you want to get a spare here
Oh ta for that, just invested in one Image

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote:Yep forgot to say same thing happened with the Gog in mine I also got a replacement on eBay if you want to get a spare here
Oh ta for that, just invested in one Image
Yep handy to have a spare :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's what I thought