Potentially looking for a new CD player...

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
chris661
Shed dweller

#1 Potentially looking for a new CD player...

Post by chris661 »

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding getting a new CD player: I currently have an old Sony CD/DVD player. It's not bad, but I suspect it could be bettered.

I've been looking at Marantz stuff on eBay, Dad says they're pretty good, but to be honest I've no real idea what to look for.

Any advice (or offers, if you have one spare I'd prefer to buy off one of you guys than someone on the end of an eBay account) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

s-q-u-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-z-e box - only way to go!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes agreed- get a Squeezebox. If you really want a cd player, I've a Pioneer Stable Platter dooberry you can have gratis if you want Chris.It works fine, though it's a little tatty and there's no remote. Sounds pretty good.I could bring it to Owston.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I'd like a decent CD player because it would appear to be the weak link in my system. I'd like to avoid all those file conversions to get FLAC for a SqueezeBox, when I already have an iPod that's nearly as good.

CD playing ability also means other people can try my system with music of their choice, then make an offer for a million pounds for it :D

Ali, I'd certainly be interested, cheers
Chris :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Go onto eBay and type marantz cd player. Numbers under CD65 or thereabouts are supposed to be best IIRC. Better if you can find one with a Philips CDM4 transport. We're talking sort of late 1980's early 90's

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

chris661 wrote:I'd like a decent CD player because it would appear to be the weak link in my system. I'd like to avoid all those file conversions to get FLAC for a SqueezeBox, when I already have an iPod that's nearly as good.

CD playing ability also means other people can try my system with music of their choice, then make an offer for a million pounds for it :D

Ok, remind me nearer the time, and I'll bring it with me.
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

Hi Ali, since Chris will have forgotten...

We will be there on Saturday all day - hope to see you then.
Thanks,
Brian.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Squeezebox does .WAV, flac, MP3 (yuk-city) and high resolution files. with the prices of hard drives nowadays there is no excuse!

'course what is better than a squeezebox? ... apart from a Dansette major!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

[quote="brig001"]Hi Ali, since Chris will have forgotten...

We will be there on Saturday all day - hope to see you then.
Thanks,
Brian.[/quote

Wish you'd reminded me yesterday! I forgot all about it and left from site today. In fact, I am already at Owston Hall, and so is Mike.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Ali Tait wrote: Wish you'd reminded me yesterday! I forgot all about it and left from site today. In fact, I am already at Owston Hall, and so is Mike.
Not to worry. This one I've got isn't awful. Well, it might be. We'll see what you guys think tomorrow.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

chris661 wrote:I'd like a decent CD player because it would appear to be the weak link in my system. I'd like to avoid all those file conversions to get FLAC for a SqueezeBox, when I already have an iPod that's nearly as good.

Wot file conversions ?
Squeezebox does MP3s and everyfink
Chris :happy3:
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I'd be impressed if it did Apple Lossless.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

chris661 wrote:I'd be impressed if it did Apple Lossless.
Piece of piss !!!
Does APE too :wink:

All comments are related to running Squeezebox on Squeezebox Server.
If you want to use a Squeezebox Touch directly connected to a USB HDD then it may not, as TinySC (the embedded server) is not as powerful as the full blown remotely run server.
Chris :happy3:
MrAcoustat
User

#14 Re: Potentially looking for a new CD player...

Post by MrAcoustat »

chris661 wrote:Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding getting a new CD player: I currently have an old Sony CD/DVD player. It's not bad, but I suspect it could be bettered.

I've been looking at Marantz stuff on eBay, Dad says they're pretty good, but to be honest I've no real idea what to look for.

Any advice (or offers, if you have one spare I'd prefer to buy off one of you guys than someone on the end of an eBay account) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Sorry i can't put a link in my answer one more day to go but for not to much money the Yamaha S-2000 is a great cd player there is better but what is your budget.?????

[ http://soundgroup.co.nz/sites/default/f ... -S2000.jpg ] [/img]
Last edited by MrAcoustat on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

He's a student, so not a lot :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."