any advice?

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 any advice?

Post by cressy »

having finished work ive got some redundancy money coming which the taxman doesnt seem interested in, so im in the market for a new cd player. im not up on anything digital and not interested in using the computer for something like a squeezebox.

the last cd player i bought new was an x ray which i no longer have but loved. the last cd player i wanted after a listen was a naim cd5. but its been that long since i heard any cd player other than the one ive got, ive no idea whats current or worth shortlisting. im looking at spending about 500 quid, and dont really care if its new or second hand.

im also intrigued about sacd aswell so does anyone have any experience with this?

does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for a shortlist?

cheers ant
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have not heard either but both

and

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/ProductDetail ... ab2=8200CD

Look interesting.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Agreed, I've not heard the Audiolab, but it's highly touted in a few places.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Finally happened eh Ant? Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Save the money till you get another job. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Wise words our Philip.

Ant, I think I've got an old Philips CD104 somewhere if you fancy a bit of a project? Might not be what you're after, but they're quite highly regarded in some quarters and they're built like a battleship. I've never got around to having a play but replacing the caps in the PS and output stage is supposed to be very worthwhile. Free to you if you're interested, I can bring to Steve's on Saturday.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REF ... 20TDA.html
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

cheers simon i'll take you up on that if i may, the audiolab player looks abit more than i wanted to spend but the reviews do look good for it. ive got a couple of grand out of them so theres plenty to put us on in terms of money and i dont intend to be out of work for long. tbh its driving me crackers being off work already. only finished last friday :roll:

cheers for the replies guys
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote: i dont intend to be out of work for long. tbh its driving me crackers being off work already. only finished last friday :roll:

cheers for the replies guys
Cor Ant, I just absolutely love not working. :D

It's good to be positive about the next job, I hope it all works out for you.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

No worries Ant, I'll dig it out.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

Hi Ant, I prefer the sound of some of the older players and wouldn't spend a fortune.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Cressy
If you are interested there a marants CD 65 on here for £21.00 which would make a good diy project I believe is has two dacs I have delt with him and he's ok just an other opion for you
http://www.greenhomeshop.co.uk/shop/ind ... ts_id=2179
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i spoke to mooregate acoustics to see what they thought and they recommended the rega apollo. £475 isnt bad and all the reviews are glowing. richards comment is interesting as i had a meridian mcd that i loved the sound of, but it was rather unreliable, and a philips cd303 that my mother in law asked me to fix that sounded gorgeous through my rocky amp once id mended it. she wont part with it though.

i have a marantz cd75 too but i dont really like it. strangely ive never heard a marantz i did like :?:

so many options!
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep I like my marants CD67 but I like my Arcam 6 too which I got from the link I posted earlier but as there both still as standard I have a lot of tweaking to do but as standard I think I preferred the marants CD67 so I guess they both get another life check out this chaps other part of his site for the better good stuff he don't have much at the moment thou it's a good idea he has I think recycled Hi FI check it out from time to time you could get a bargain :)
http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

cressy wrote:i have a marantz cd75 too but i dont really like it. strangely ive never heard a marantz i did like :?:
Interesting that, when I got my CD-41 of eBay I did a bit of research, IIRC it seems that for model numbers much higher than that (a certain 60-something number I think) they went "naff" by all accounts

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Oh that's interesting I also still like my marants CD52 SE but it does sound a tad rougher than the CD67 I am tempted to upgrade the op-amps but my de-soldering skills are not the best as far as the tracks lifting never been very good at it :shock:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage