any advice?

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes I sympathise!

Might be worth a cruise on eBay see if there's anything with the Philips CDM4 drive :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well i succumbed to temptation and put a bid on a sony cdp x3000 on ebay. i always loved the looks when they were new and i like the smooth sony cd sound.
the current player is a sony cdp xb930 qs and although i really like what im getting from it, its the controls that are causing the problems. the jog dial for track selection operates in a hit and miss way, the drive sometimes wont respond to the buttons and it wont read discs every now and then. when it gets warm after an hour or so this gets worse. which is a shame as its a fine sounding player. the switchable filters are a lovely feature which the 3000 has too.
the 3000 was well reviewed when it was new and was quite expensive iirc. i did hear one when i was buying the x ray all those years ago but chose the mf and it was better with the mf system i had at the time.

plus i hope to pay a fair bit less than 500 quid.

hmmm use the rest on transformers, or a new cart for the jbe
kt77 amp using an ecc81 and the 77 as a pentode?
i really like that little el84 sep mi old mans done so that might be an option :shock: :D
that'll fit staight into the guaranteed bently amp chassis without cutting it up too :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's a pity, don't much about that one. Dirty switch contacts? Also could just be the laser lens needs a clean :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i secured myself an inca design katana cd player yesterday from a very nice fellow who advertised it in the back of hifi world. gorgeous. i cant wait to get it! all the reviews seem to point to exactly what im after
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote:i secured myself an inca design katana cd player yesterday from a very nice fellow who advertised it in the back of hifi world. gorgeous. i cant wait to get it! all the reviews seem to point to exactly what im after
The Inca people were pretty clever, but I never knew they designed CD players. :wink:

I hope it meets your expectations.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote:
The Inca people were pretty clever,
Evidently not. Quote from 2003 review:

The answer given is that by designing the player in the UK and manufacturing it in China they can keep costs low. The fact that other brands who use the same approach have not achieved as much is, they claim, that while all products are priced in order to maximise margins, theirs are tighter than most.

They don't seem to be in business any more!!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

My attempt at humour failed.

I meant South American Inca's of years gone by. :oops:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I meant South American Inca's of years gone by.
I think Shane knew that, but employed the "ignore that it was a joke and treat as serious" method to see your humor and raise you.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
I meant South American Inca's of years gone by.
I think Shane new that, but employed the "ignore that it was a joke and treat as serious" method to see your humor and raise you.
Aha, that's what living in South Devon does for one. :wink:

Is that the same Inca that used to make Inca Tech amps ?

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Nick wrote:I think Shane new that, but employed the "ignore that it was a joke and treat as serious" method to see your humor and raise you.
Krekt. As they say down yer in Debm.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

colin.hepburn wrote:Oh that's interesting I also still like my marants CD52 SE but it does sound a tad rougher than the CD67 I am tempted to upgrade the op-amps but my de-soldering skills are not the best as far as the tracks lifting never been very good at it :shock:
I have one of these (CD-52 Mk II) and I like it.

I had two (used both at home and for Disco) and when both reached about ten years old both loading trays failed, the same nylon cog on each just disintegrated.

So when the first one failed I threw it away but when the second one failed I mentioned it to a friend and he asked for it so I gave it to him.

Fast forward quite some time to a month ago and during a phone conversation said friend said he'd managed to locate spare parts and repaired the CD-52 Mk II.

'Really?' said I 'Damn, I really liked that CD player'

So he gave it back to me and I gave him the £20.00 he'd spent on the spare parts. So after a five year gap it's back with me, remote control, grubby fingermarks and all.

The friend in question is known to both DTB and myself, he being an ex-work colleague we affectionately refer to as 'Fat Guts' or 'Slim'. Because he isn't. Slim, that is.

I also have a Marantz CD-50 which isn't really used, it's in the kitchen atm and a Cambridge Azur 640C which I'm not at all impressed with, tbh, the pair of Marantz's outshine it easily.

So which are these op-amps that could improve the CD-52 Mk II? Pray tell :)
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

I have a Jungson Moon Harbour, which I think is the OEM version of the Katana - very pleased with it. One of the reasons I bought it was for the balanced output. I fitted a better clock, which seemed to improve it. I think the clock was from Guido Tent.