Lampy cd player

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Richard wrote: I tried different IV resistors, 53R and 100R but found the 82R best.
I seem to remember not being able to go much higher than 82R, without getting all sorts of strange noises.
I think i settled for 68R in the end.
Much to learn there is.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

Nick wrote:Cool, going round in circles can be fun and informative sometimes :-)
Yes, certainly a good way to learn :)
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

Aardvark wrote:And how does it stack up against your reference player on rehearing?
Same as before except that I now accept the differences more readily. Before I was suspicious, like when someone gives you something for nothing.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

Mike H wrote:I note on page 6 it says:

"If we change the load we must change Rk too, [bias] or linearity will probably suffer (too many authors try to ignore the load when analyzing the circuit, which leads to quite misleading results).

"It is therefore a mistake to use an SRPP as the output stage or line-driver of a preamp, for example, because we can't be sure what it will be plugged into and hence what Rload might be." . . . "The SRPP can only be designed properly if we know what the load impedance actually is, and treat the whole thing as a unified system (remember, an SRPP with no load is not an SRPP at all!)."

Further down this caught my eye also:

"What may not be immediately obvious is that absolute maximum power from the SRPP obtains when the load impedance is equal to ra so, in theory, it should be possible not only to optimise the circuit resistances but also to choose the optimum triode for the job! All we have to do is find one whose ra is equal to the impedance of the thing we wish to drive,"

Further to the above, that's an aspect I hadn't considered (what is Rload) and I should have 'cause I'm sure I saw that PDF before. Need to experiment....
Yes 6n2p has 50k ra and I use 50k input so that was what got me "optimising" the srpp for the 6n2p into my 50k preamp load.

It works fine as the little table of results bottom page 8 shows, bottom right blue figs, distortion suddenly notches out at the correct 50k load.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

al newall wrote:
Richard wrote: I tried different IV resistors, 53R and 100R but found the 82R best.
I seem to remember not being able to go much higher than 82R, without getting all sorts of strange noises.
I think i settled for 68R in the end.
Hi Al, Interesting as I didn't listen to other than 82R, just checked them on the plank against the meter and they measured worse, so stuck with 82R as it had worked fine in the listening I had done.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The coupling cap on Richards lampy circuit is 2.2uf and need to be 100v +.

Looking around are these a "good" cap to use ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1492wt_727

Alternatives could be Russian K75-10, or Clarity cap SA, or WD equivilent.

Any other (reasonably priced) suggestions ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Who can say. almost the same price as a SA. Or

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=2108768

at 58p
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#158 Mundorf

Post by IslandPink »

Film/foil ? - I like these a lot - very transparent -
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mcap_zn.html
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Phil the one you posted looks suspiciously like a run-of-the-mill power supply filter type that may or may not have been "tarted up" with new lettering. A cynical viewpoint I know :D

I got some 1uF ClarityCaps going spare, 2 of each in parallel?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

BTW this is the circuit is it?

I might be able to try summink like this with the Philips player, I know naff all about it but I was considering using an augmented cathode follower type of thing using a EF86 with its screen tied to the CF output.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I'm using Richards updated version. He spent a lot of time perfecting his version so I'd rather trust that.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yep OK. :D

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

BTW "MKP" just means Metallisierter Kunststoff Polypropylen (German: Metallized Plastic Polypropylene)

I.e it's not some sort of quality or other suchlike attribute that means anything special :D

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Yes, I knew that, but they have a (supposed) good reputation. :wink:

May I take you up on the kind offer for 4 1uf Clarity caps ?

Just be careful how you pronounce the middle word. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

:D

Certainly mon-sewer.

Ah just as well I looked, all I can lay my hands on at the mo is 4, 2 used & 2 unused. Thought I had more than that! But think I gave or sold 4 to someone else as well