DIY CD player ?

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

Has anyone here played with this type of DAC kit BTW? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24bit-192KHz-DAC- ... 1c116a688a

Is that a good place to start DAC-wise? it seems to do the higher rates that a lot of our- 'Digi-boyz' here talk about and it's cheap. We like.

DTB[/quote]

i have the earlier version of that dac (modded as per lampy site) with a 6n6p on the end (a picture of my xspert breadboarding is in the E CHOKE at work thread) its very good :o the dac that is not my bodging
dave
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

According to the Lampy web site those kits won't do the higher rates as supplied.

My "best" DAC is similar but all on one board.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote:
pre65 wrote:I don't think my e-bay DAC does 24 bit, but do you need it for hordinary CD's ?
No, you don't need 24 bit capability for CDs.
At present I have nothing that plays digital files ('cept the stand alone PC) above CD level but in the long-term I'm interested in these SquashedBockz devices some of you fella's play with and Computer audio....but if you're tempted to go down the digital source route does a bit of forward planning and a 24bit/192Khz DAC make sense? It'd decode (resolve) digital from a normal digital CD player I'm guessing.

DTB
There are lots of DACs out there with 24/192 chipsets in them, but very few that can accept a 24/192 external input.
Very few sources will output 24/192 either.
Of the ones that do, connection is usually proprietary (ie specific to the manufacturer).

So yer left playing with 24/96.
CD at 16/44.1 is no problem.

If you get a Squeezy Touch and run it from 'puter based server then it will downsample 24/192 to 24/96 on the fly, so the Touch will be capable of playing the files.
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:Squashed Bo***ckz
:!:
Ooo nasty :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The brand spanking new, in sealed box, mini PC case has now been delivered. :)

It's actually better than I thought for £15 delivered, which is nice. The DVD drive is screwed in, and now I'm trying to work out how to fit the display part on the front so the remote can see it.

At least I've only got the one to do. :lol:

I reckon the DAC will go inside the case as well if needed, then the present DAC case (WD PSU3 case) could house a Lampizator (or Thoresten) output doo dah.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I think I've sussed out the display bit. Next job is to butcher (sorry, carefully cut) the silver trim that would normally cover that part. :lol:

I also found another use for M3 nylon washers, like wot we use for TO220 devices, for securing the display to the board. I got some 20mm M3 nylon spacers for another job, but I cut two down to 11mm long and they are perfik for filling the gap.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I managed to get the display hole cut in the trim panel. Not quite as good a job as I hoped. :(

I've had to move the panel forward a bit, so some proper spacers are now in order.

Got to cut out another small bit for the remote sensor, and a few holes for the push buttons.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The PSU fan is actually fairly quiet, and as my attempts to get inside and disable the fan were thwarted, it will stay as is for the time being.

My Optorite DVD drive was a bit noisy, and vibrated when playing. I've swapped it with a NEC DVD drive and that is much better.

I have 3 more CD drives to try if necessary.

Will see how it plays in the morning.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Seems all computer optical drives are not equal.

This NEC DVD drive is deffo "better" than the other one. :wink:

On the PSU there is no on/off switch.

I have a link in the motherboard plug between green and ground to make the PSU work.

Could I put a switch in that link ? Or would that makeparts of the PSU live at all times ?

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

This NEC DVD drive is deffo "better" than the other one.
In what sense?
Could I put a switch in that link ? Or would that makeparts of the PSU live at all times ?
Yes and probbaly.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
This NEC DVD drive is deffo "better" than the other one.
In what sense?
Well, for a start, it is quieter and does not vibrate like the other one.

My lack of descriptive powers are well known, but to me it is just more "listenable", perhaps a bit more "open". :)

Is there any "fact" in oft quoted reports that DVD players/drives read CD's better than CD drives ?

I seem to remember that some upmarket CD players were using DVD drives inside.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I don't think its possible to buy a computer CD driver anymore, though there are still some pro red book drives for things like juke boxes.
Is there any "fact" in oft quoted reports that DVD players/drives read CD's better than CD drives ?
Hard to say, depends again on the "better" again. If a DVD or CD drive got data wrong in the computer world it would be described as broken. I expect the real time red book reading might still allow for errors on the output stream, but I would have thought the electronics should be able to read with 100% accuracy now. Anyone know what the expected BER is for DVD drives reading audio CD's?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:Is there any "fact" in oft quoted reports that DVD players/drives read CD's better than CD drives ?
I would've thought should be better since the tracks are narrower for DVD, so a CD should be the proverbial portion of yellow stuff. :D

There may be differing qualities in manufacture having an effect, but that's something else

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

PS: I know that my current notebook drive is much more reliable with certain CD brands than that of my previous notebook, and I think it's mostly down to the make/model of the drive

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:
I would've thought should be better since the tracks are narrower for DVD, so a CD should be the proverbial portion of yellow stuff. :D

Tracks ?

PEDANT MODE ALERT !! :lol: :lol:

Should it not be in the singular old chap ? :wink:

Edmund Burke