Buffalo DAC output stage

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Nick
Site Admin

#1 Buffalo DAC output stage

Post by Nick »

Leo, asked me about what I was doing with a output stage for a Buffalo DAC, so here is the simple as they come circuit I am using. The output is a little over red book 2v, but not enough to worry the non anal :-)
Attachments
ES 9018 DAC balanced output stage
ES 9018 DAC balanced output stage
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Heard this and it sounded great!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Now you've had a play with the Bufalo how do you rate it Nick?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I heard it on its own before, and it was ok, but not better, this output stage I think has made it very good. I only realized how good when going back to my reference tweaked DVD player. Mark who I put the circuit together for is sending me the rest of the bits to put it all into a box and that will allow a comparison with the ivy I/V stage. he has also ordered one of the new Buffalo II boards so that will be a interesting comparison as well.

I was hoping to get a chance to have another listen to Ian's MW Transporter last night, but unfortunately someone decided to park a Ford Ka a foot into my drivers door in the fog last night on the way there so that didnt happen :-(. Ah well, lets hear it for BMW build standards and air bags. :-). It did kill my car though, so thats a major pain, insurance, finding a replacement, cost, police, etc...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Bummer. Glad you're okay Nick.

Very interested to see what you think of the different Buffalos - they're supposed to be pretty good but accounts on the net by someone you've never met means little. If they are as good as recogned then they might be worth it.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes seconded,glad you're ok Nick.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

it wasnt my mother was it? she drives a ford ka, and she drives like frank drebin :lol: seriously though, glad youre ok nick
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Not simply a case of replacing the door on the Be-em then?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Err no :-)

Don't think so. The front window went and the rear door was off its frame, so I expect the uprights are stressed. Maybe it can be made well again, but I would be surprised.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Glad to hear you survived the impact Nick.

Insurance companies are renowned for making derisory offers when a car is written off, so be prepared to negotiate !

Good things to reinforce your argument are recent copies of adverts for cars in similar condition (age-mileage-specifications) from Auto Trader (or similar) or similar cars for sale at dealers or car sales lots.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cheers Phil, to be fair the car had very little market value, was in very good condition for it age (02), and I had had it from new (used to be my company car), but the 170,000 on the clock hit any value it might have had. Shame, I was looking forward to it reaching its 200k in a year and a half. Best I can hope for is somewhere in the region of 2k as deposit on a replacement.

Looking on the bright side, it was up for its MOT this month and it needed its track rod ends changing, just as well I hadn't got that done yet.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:so I expect the uprights are stressed.
Oh well I have been given to understand that bendng the pillars is usually "terminal". It had a good innings though.

Reminds me though used to know a bloke who could repair that kind of damage.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Oh, I am sure given the will it would be reparable, but the world isn't running out of 8 year old 318's at the moment.
leo
New User

Post by leo »

Thanks for sharing Nick!

Sorry to hear about the car :(
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick,if you looked at E36's,you could get a very good example with low miles for 2k.