TPA3116

For the three and more legged things
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Dam. I did get one in the post, suppose I will have to try it.

Question, do you need a heatsink and if so attached to what? Don't have a clue what is doing what on this thing.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

There is a small heat sink on the chip, on my amp it does not get even warm.

But using it as you will be doing I don't know if it will get hotter. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

oh yes, see that right in the middle between two capacitors.

So that is the power amplifier right there. Just a little more efficient than a 833. Expect the government to legislate on this matter soon.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I ordered a couple of these amps to have a play with.
i have been using a tda7297 in my living room system that i demo'd at owston. Its really quite good enough for background listening, by all accounts these 3116 amps are better,
So i thought I would see how they may work on the hifi i have ordered a couple last week so i can keep one stock and mod the other...
I did have a wild thought of possibly bridging them as a 100 watt pa or vocals amp, last night i found a twin versionwith 2x 50w and 1x100w,
for the minuscule outlay i thought i would give that a go too, so that has just been ordered
Will report back on my findings...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Some of these amps you can't bridge as they are already bridged in the chip.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

It'l be interesting to read your thoughts on the sound quality Steve.

I've been using mine for a while now. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Likewise. The 7297 sounded pretty good at a previous Owston.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Yes it did Ali i was impressed.. there is alot of crosstalk though.
last night I arranged a duel mono version just using one board and a seperate power supply per channel i added a much bigger cap on each input
It sounded cleaner than using one board as stereo and the extra cap seemed to smooth the sound.
The main difference between the these and the 3116 board apart from the chip is the duel power caps and the decoupling arrangement, which is not present on my 7297 board, and could make quite a difference in my view
Cant wait for the new boards to come
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote:It'l be interesting to read your thoughts on the sound quality Steve.

I've been using mine for a while now. :)
I dont think for one minute it will oust my px25 amps, but its nice to have
Lesley has wanted christmas songs on all day... They are ideal for that sort of misuse of the stereo?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

That was my initial thoughts when I first trued thesekind of amps, low power consumption for AV use and the like, no problem leaving them on for long periods of time.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

That was my initial thoughts when I first trued thesekind of amps, low power consumption for AV use and the like, no problem leaving them on for long periods of time.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

The first of these came on saturday, did a little work mounting and connecting up a lap top power supply,
Bit more hum than i would like, and a pop when its turned on, left it running for three hours last night to warm itself up

So, had another listen tonight and im not really impressed, there is a roughness to the sound, leading edges are muffled the bass sounds full but there again there is a quite a hint of thickening
Im finding it quite irritating to listen too.
I have added extra caps as per the diy audio mods

Believe it or not the mono'd tda7297 boards sound cleaner if a less full in the bass. It may require more time to run in .. I will give it a good run.... see if that helps things ?

Im going to try on battery power to see if that make a difference too, as the power supply im using has a little ripple on it anyway...
I have another coming in the next few days. A different version with a seperate sub amp, il'll try it for audio but the plan is to put it inside the daughters bass guitar speaker.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Interesting thread. Just looking at the photos on eBay, some patently have insufficient output and supply filtering in order to keep the price down.

Which boards are people testing?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I connected it to a 12 vt battery and am please to report it sounds much better than the laptop supply, much smoother and qute a pleasent listen. The bass is cleaner too

There is still a little hum but i think that self inflicted by the way i connected it up and fitted the extra caps.. I think it whats technically known as a bodge job

Another came today with a seperate 100 watt sub amp.. All on a 4"square board
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

nickds1 wrote:Interesting thread. Just looking at the photos on eBay, some patently have insufficient output and supply filtering in order to keep the price down.

Which boards are people testing?
Both types i have are on the yuan jing audio site
I dont think they are the best but for the price they are a good base to upgrade from
Cheers..