Garrard 301/401 Plinth for 12" arms

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#1 Garrard 301/401 Plinth for 12" arms

Post by Thermionic Idler »

This is a Loricraft-inspired plinth which I designed and had custom-made for me by a local cabinet-maker in 2009. The side panels are solid walnut, and the base consists of a walnut outer layer and MDF inner. The plinth is large enough for 12" arms to be mounted.

These are the latest pictures, which I took a couple of weeks back:

The plinth was designed for Isonoe isolation feet, these are included in the sale:

A unique feature of this plinth is the ability to adjust the height of the isolation spheres by loosening off these allen bolts and pushing the corner brace up or down, the idea was to allow some experimentation with different thicknesses of top board:

The isolation spheres themselves are Sorbothane, but you can try squash balls per Loricraft as well, of course.

I have two birch ply top boards, one cut for a 401 and one for a 301 (pictured). The 401 board has sagged very slightly on one edge, however, so I'd recommend a new top board if you have a 401. For the 301 board, unless you're using a Thomas Schick arm and SPU, you'll need to cut out the arm mounting arrangement and replace with your own.

Here's a picture of the plinth as it looked with a 301 and Schick arm in place, taken some years ago.

Looking for £199 but am open to sensible offers.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Garrard 301/401 Plinth for 12" arms

Post by IslandPink »

That looks amazing - a dream set-up . What could you possibly be using now that's better ? :D
I assume the Schick arm will remain part of your permanent collection ? - if not, PM me immediately !!
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#3 Re: Garrard 301/401 Plinth for 12" arms

Post by Thermionic Idler »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:18 pm That looks amazing - a dream set-up . What could you possibly be using now that's better ? :D
I assume the Schick arm will remain part of your permanent collection ? - if not, PM me immediately !!
Sadly not, I had to sell the Schick a few years ago during a previous 'clear-out'. At the time I needed the money.

The 301 is now in an SMD Reference plinth with an Audio Origami PU7, has been for quite some time. Couple of years ago I got a Van Den Hul Black Beauty and haven't looked back - it's never mis-tracked and just gets out of the way of the music, perfect for classical. So my front end is (literally and figuratively) 'set in stone' at this point.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Garrard 301/401 Plinth for 12" arms

Post by IslandPink »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:20 pm
1. Sadly not, I had to sell the Schick a few years ago during a previous 'clear-out'. At the time I needed the money.

2...now in an SMD Reference plinth ..
1. :shock:
2. Phwaooar !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"