Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Greg
Social outcast

#16 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote:The smiley I used was a wink. :)
OK, but that was too visually subtle for me. Imoticom riddles on a forum are not helpful although I appreciate your sense of fun here. Sorry, can't find a smiley that suggests What I think about Frugals. Entertaining but IMHO crap. :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Sorry, can't find a smiley that suggests What I think about Frugals. Entertaining but IMHO crap. :D
Ah, but Greg, you have not heard MY FH3, with MY enabled Fostex drivers in MY room, have you. LOL
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#18 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote:Ah, but Greg, you have not heard MY FH3, with MY enabled Fostex drivers in MY room, have you. LOL
Nope, but I've certainly heard the dire sound of enabled Fostex drivers. If the enablement is an improvement, the originals must sound dreadful. Yep, not heard them in your FS3's in your room but no room effect will bring proper sound improvements because the whole design has to be flawed (physics) and intended to be an accommodating compromise which I admit it does do pretty well. That doesn't alter the fact that it is a confidence fix, it is wrong and does not sound real. It's a clever con though and that's why it entertains you. If you are happy to be entertained by a falsehood, good for you. Personally I won't settle with a broken sound.
stevie7v
User

#19 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

I agree with you all about the limitations of full-range loudspeakers. I use Bandor 2" units because the bass goes quite low - particularly if you use 4 of the drivers per side - and the treble goes quite high. I can use them without crossovers or filters as long as I mount them in sealed boxes to limit the cone excursion. However, my latest designs use supertweeter and sub-bass units as well as the full range (and these are actively filtered, gulp!) At least I use no crossovers or filters anywhere near male or female vocals or anywhere in what I would call the midband.

In practice I find with my system that the full-rangers are the main contributors to the listener experience (by some way) so I consider my speakers to be full range - or at least I've chosen a range of compromises that I'm happy to live with. Don't we all make compromises and choices with our designs?

Regards
Steve
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by pre65 »

stevie7v wrote:
In practice I find with my system that the full-rangers are the main contributors to the listener experience (by some way) so I consider my speakers to be full range - or at least I've chosen a range of compromises that I'm happy to live with. Don't we all make compromises and choices with our designs?

Regards
Steve
Yes, indeed we do. :)

Greg, I don't berate your beloved KLS3, even though I never really rated them myself, and I have had the pleasure of having quite a few different types of speaker here at Noddy towers since.

Obviously we hear things differently, and I have no problem with that. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#21 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Greg »

Ok, compromise mode. I don't think you have ever heard KLS3 as intended and probably I could learn a thing or two listening to your FH3's, but sorry, you'll have to work a bit to convince me.

I've Just come away from the KLS3's, loud on David Bowie Alladin Sane. I want more definition on all the loud sounds, particularly Bowie's acoustic guitar, but I'm saying this because my new system is oh so revealing. I have invested heavily in my system recently, streaming through MicroRendu into Devialet 220 Pro into KLS3. Sorry, moved on from the DIY scene, but to be sure, the KLS3's are still fertile. I still love their sound. I have no inclination to move on from them. Still waiting for someone to show me a better sound within my personal affordability. To date, none of my friends have been able to convert me, in fact, some of them are more inclined towards my take on things. There you go! :D :) :bounce: