Kit headphone amp recommendations

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

#1 Kit headphone amp recommendations

Post by richardcooper2k »

A friend of mine today said he is thinking of building a headphone amp kit and could i recommend any. I've never heard one so could not. He wondered if a valve one would sound nice.

He hasn't built anything before so scratch building wouldn't be an option although i can give him a hand if needed.

He has owned several reasonable commercial hifi components. Sugden have been a past favourite of his so it will need to sound reasonably good. Not sure what he would be prepared to pay yet.

On the internet i found World designs, Bottlehead and Graham Slee kits.

Any comments/recommendations ?
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well one option is this but it's a tad expensive now I have the model but I have rebuilt and upgraded it so my one has its own external PSU and all top grade components but it is very good and was designed with sennhizer HD650s in mind

it would be best to scratch build it I have all the builders manual for the varies models if you want to see
Ear+ HD High Definition Headphone Amplifier (kit and assembled

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/#headphone%20amps

or you could go for the World Audio Headphone kit and I am sure someone will recommend others take a look here as well http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/p ... /index.htm
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I've made a Panda amp and although it's not valve based does sound really good to me

http://shop2.hifidiy.net/index.php?main ... ucts_id=54

Theres a thread on rock grotto about it.

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.c ... 609&page=1
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Isn't that the one Clive recommends Greg?

looks like the style of Futterman which Rosenblit copied (sorry drew inspiration from) for his Glass Audio article OTL amp,

which I built and I have yet to make an amp which is as good in so many respects it is only inevitable that I build it again some day.

therefore this headphone amp will most assuredly be a killer.

looks like they were scared to direct couple it. +/- power supply for output section and it could be balanced around zero dc offset how the original Futterman (and Rosenblit's futterman) was.

I suppose it depends how much money you invest in headphones.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote:Isn't that the one Clive recommends Greg?
Yep, it's one he recommends for a good quality kit albeit not the very best but not far off.
davebms
User

#7 headphone amp

Post by davebms »

hello all . ive built the BIJOU still not in a box yet its very good
the World Audio Headphone hd83 i also have and thats also good (plus it has a box to live in !!

value for money a used musical fidelity XCANS V1/V2 the v2 is a bit more hi/fi but with a re cap (you can get kits to do that) they are good you can swap valves an the chip to adjust the sound

dave
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

If you've got a circuit with ECC99 you're better off with 6N6P, the difference was not subtle in the Aurora amps !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies. The Bijou sounds like a great amp but i think sourcing the parts, drilling holes, etc would be too much for a first project.
It's supposed to be something he can take the lead on.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi
OK if you want a solid state kit all you add is sockets transformer and case and its cheap but don't let that put you off as this H amp is one of the late John linsley hood Class A amps the power amp has a big following on diyaudio I have this one for a play about With this link is the original design of the HAmp see circuit 1 http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlhphones.htm you can get the kit of eBay it will make a great starter kit and sound great into the bargain as I said do not let the price put you off plus theirs a builders thread on diyaudio and ounces built he can learn more by upgrading the components as well
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphon ... e-amp.html
EBay link for kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JHL-Class-hea ... 1e6b31deb2
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Interesting.
I think i might suggest he makes one of the sand amps first. So he can develop his soldering skills on something cheap. Maybe not even bother with a nice box to start with as this is often the most expensive bit.

Then he can decide where he wants to go next having gained some experience with very little outlay.

I'll see what he thinks
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

richardcooper2k wrote:Thanks for the replies. The Bijou sounds like a great amp but i think sourcing the parts, drilling holes, etc would be too much for a first project.
It's supposed to be something he can take the lead on.
the bijou comes as a complete kit.. rockgrotto ,forum have threads on moding some of the cheap ebay valve headphone amps (cant do links at the mo)

dave
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Oh, i didn't find the Bijou as a complete kit.
Where can i find it ?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The Linsley Hood head amp that Colin mentionis above is ridiculously silly money. I bought one a good few months ago but still haven't gotten round to adding a transformer and a few sockets...why? I'm lazy. no warmly glowing valves.

JLH is supposed to be excellent design, the Hongker kit is beautifully built and totally cheap. I really must get on with it. How much more might one have to pay to improve on the JLH?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.