What people are working on at the moment
Ant
Shed dweller

#31 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Got it installed and running
Made a right mess so a lot of tidying up is required
Also a cup of tea and a sit down
I had to set it up with the deck where it was before on the big rack due to a compete lack of space then move it into the place previously occupied by the big lenco.
I couldn't leave it on the big rack, the curtains behind it are a recipe for disaster given the wires go up and over the connector box on the back.
The deck now needs re levelling. Later.
A brief moment of terror when the dv20x2h went plummeting towards the side of the platter when I adjusted the arm levelling screw in a somewhat cack handed manner means I am leaving it alone for a while....
It was actually nice and simple to set up (initial set up) it'll want some setup tweaking to get the absolute best out of it, I'm 95% there but bottled it.......
Slightly shaky hands aren't a good idea with this thing.

But bloody hell it doesn't half sound good
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Paul Barker »

That last bit needs moving to the first sentence.

Im that cack handed with TT’s too.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#33 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ray P »

Time for some deep breathing exercises Ant!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#34 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

I've done the tidying up, and a load of box juggling so that the psu box has somewhere to sit.
Had to pull the system apart so that I could make space.
Quite a nice job to do actually, most if it hasn't been touched in a long time.
Also wrote on all the plugs for various things so I know what they are for, wouldn't do to plug the wrong one into something and blow it up.
I've also levelled it up properly and readjusted the arm so that the air bearing is level. The arm now stays where it is while it's floating.
One thing that is very noticeably better with this air arm is the pump. I got the one Andy recommended, and i haven't even had to put it in a box. It's behind the big rack on the carpet and it's only audible if you stick your head over the back of the rack. I dont generally do that, so I'm not going to bother boxing it up.
I'll put up some pics later when I can prise o e of the kids off one of the computers....

Ant
Shed dweller

#35 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

now ive squared myself away, here are a few photos

ImageEds1000 airprodigy build by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

told you i made a mess....

this is the finished product
interesting thing is that i cant hear a particular sonic signature if that makes sense, it seems to be the epitome of the old mans mantra "it just plays"
it also doesn't change at all as the record progresses. I remember being surprised by this when i used the terminator arm

the build quality is very good, i cant find anything to complain about, all the parts are well designed and thought out. nothing seems to have been overlooked. it comes with several setup jigs, my personal favourite is the v block jig that allows you to take the wand out completely to set the tracking weight so you don't bugger up any of your other adjustments. lovely touch

scuse the lens flare.

overall I'm very happy with the build, and with the arm. for less than 450 quid all in, the arm is in my opinion a bargain. and the fact that it can be used on a suspended deck is a very interesting selling point as previously it was very difficult to find a linear tracker to fit say a td160 and certainly not at the price andy builds them for.

the dual motor seems completely unflappable, i haven't even had to consider faffing with the speed adjust. which is pretty amazing for a 40 odd year old motor. the jbe and the lencos always need a little finessing after a while, but this thing just keeps turning.....

one thing that stands out is the amount of detail it seems to be able to dig out, and how clear it is. i also seem to be able to pick a instrument ect and follow it very easily. and low frequency tone seems to be very good, very natural. it sounds very natural overall in my opinion

done. i shall enjoy.

Greg
Social outcast

#36 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the write up, Ant. I for one am certainly interested and may give this parallel tracker a go, whilst prices are low :roll:
Although still a little Heath Robinson in appearance, it’s shed loads better than the early Transformation I had for a while.

Interesting that he recommends the Eheim diaphragm pump (and I’ve read what he says about this on his website and certainly they are probably the best diaphragm pumps out there), but there are similarly priced or cheaper piston pumps on the market that are considerably quieter. Which Eheim Is recommended? 100, 200 or 400?

I have some questions, so If you know the name/email of the maker/Proprietor of AirProdigy, please can you PM it to me. Thanks.
Ant
Shed dweller

#37 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

He recommended the eheim 400 pump which was the one I bought, it came in at a little over 30 quid
I have quite a few air pumps here as we keep fish, both marine and tropical (we have a marine tank about the size of a bloody phone box in the dining room that handily screens off my work area) and this pump is leagues quieter than any of the others we have. I've used fluval pumps for ages, now I'll get eheim ones. I haven't used piston pumps so I couldn't say if it's quieter than that type
He hasn't given me any contact details unfortunately I had to go through ebay

Greg
Social outcast

#38 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Greg »

Yep, I recognise Eheim as the best and they’re not so pricey these days. I can remember when they were always unaffordable. Another trick we will lose as we leave the EU.......wankers!
Ant
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Re the pump, I've been listening this morning, ambient noise is much lower as the kids are not up yet so it's actually quiet. The pump noise is noticeable now, so I might box it up after all. If I can be bothered
It's not bad by any means, but it's there. Except this time it's not detracting from my enjoyment at all, as it was with the terminator arm. To be fair, that pump was old and abit rubish

Ant
Shed dweller

#40 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Another thing I have noticed is that it seems much more forgiving of offset pressings of which I have a few.
I've got a copy of daft punk discovery which is pretty bad, side a is nigh on unlistenable. It's almost a quarter inch out! Not on this, there is a still a bit of wow but it's not remotely as bad, and it's actually reasonably listenable
Why, I don't really know. B c and d are fine, it's just that side that's a mile off

Ant
Shed dweller

#41 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Next thing to do is to investigate a plenum tank. Using one to smooth out the pulses from the pump with the terminator arm proved beneficial, a couple of quid for a suitable container isn't going to break the bank to try it :mrgreen:
This is getting very nerdy......

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#42 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Paul Barker »

Can u buy a plenum or you mean link a car inner tube in?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#43 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Well the terminator I tried had an additional plenum tank made out of a petrol canister between the pump and the arm which smoothed out the air pulses from the pump
It sounded better with the tank in place

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#44 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ray P »

The reservoir chamber acts a bit like a capacitor in a power supply.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm The reservoir chamber acts a bit like a capacitor in a power supply.
They used a vacuum reservoir for the brake servo on some older cars.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)