Building the uTracer

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Building the uTracer

Post by Paul Barker »

Well have I come to a pause or can I continue James and Nick?

I can't find my jumper for J3 and my rs232 usb interface is on order.

So

1/ I have tested the first portion of the build where you test the 5v and 15v and the red led. That all passed the test.

2/ I have built the second portion which involves the interface. I put the 16 pin base in wrong way round but chip is correct. Can't test it until I have RS232 gadget.

So I pressed on and built

3/ the PIC processor stage. But I can't test that either without the jumper for J3 AND without computer connectivity.

Do I now have to stop and wait? Is that best? i.e. is it a mistake to ramp on with the build when I haven't tested as I go along. Intuition says mistake.

Can either of you please tell me what the jumper for J3 consists of so I can hook something up?

No doubt I'll loose more little parts I am more accustomed to hardly any resistors and caps just valve bases inductive components and valves.

Solid state seems a lot of trouble. But I suppose it is here to stay.

J3 to the right of the PIC processor, which of these 6 are jumped to which other ones of the 6?

Long way to go!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Another question. Is J4 which is in with the RS232 interface part of the build, just bridged for testing interface and left out for normal use?

Anyway that's enough tiny miniscule soldering for one night. i feel like I've been puting panel pins in with a sledgehammer.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

OK I have found the jumper solution. Just bridge the two pins that are alone. I can pull a jumper out of a surplus boiler pcb for that.

Also the jumper which is assembled during the RS232 interface part of the build, I see it is removed in the photograph on the uTracer page, so the anser is not left in place during operation of uTracer right?

Wait to test before progressing?
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

The RS232 to USB FTDI chipset adapter came today.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I was so taken by James demo at Owston that I have succumbed to one of these as well.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Good.
My build will have a pause due to overwhelmed with day job extending into man cave time.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Good.
My build will have a pause due to overwhelmed with day job extending into man cave time.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I stole some time which belongs to a shower install. Going to that after I post this.

I tested the usb cable adapter and that passed.

But the comm tests yealded the wrong message on screen. Just hoping it was due to the fact I had gone on ahead of myself and built the next part before testing the previous part (due to awaiting an usb to RS232 adapt cable)

Undeterred I tested the microcontroller part of the build which is meant to come after testing the comm part of the build.

Microcontroller test passed and voltage regulated as per instructions.

Fingers crossed about the comm element!

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If that bit is working them the comms are fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks I thought that might be the case.

Just got back from the fitting the shower and stole away to the man cave for more soldering.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Heater circuit built and working.

Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Testing components.

Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Next stage was a negative rail. But hit a problem when I couldn't find certain diodes. Decided the ones pictured were a replacement which needs to be listed on the snags page to save the uninitiated stalling. but fast discovering this build is not for the novice.

Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Testing of this portion only requires a multi meter.

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Looks like you're doing fine - I had one of the earlier kits and found several mistakes in the manual (which, by the way, is still VERY good)- AFAIK all these errata have been corrected.

There is a note in the manual:

"Some components may have been replaced by alternatives depending
on availability from my supplier. below you find a list of replacements used"

I had different diodes too - they are not that special - just have to have a very very low Trr (reverse recovery time).

You are brave to do stuff out of order - I followed the manual religiously !

The V4 (which is a LONG way off) looks very interesting.

http://dos4ever.com/uTracerlog2/tubetester3.html
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt