Building the uTracer

What people are working on at the moment
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Oooooh! You're famous. Ronald has written you up!

http://dos4ever.com/uTracerlog/tubetester2.html#trouble
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

nickds1 wrote:Oooooh! You're famous. Ronald has written you up!

http://dos4ever.com/uTracerlog/tubetester2.html#trouble
Our James gets a good mention as well with his efforts on positive grid bias.

PS

That link makes good reading, some very interesting stuff on there. Even a bit about KT120 for our Steve C. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Excellent write up by Ronald of your CV57 tribulations, Paul. I would never have guessed at oscillation as the cause of your woes.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes he axed my perssimon.

Another thing I have learned is that you can test a PX4 using the onboard heater supply, but only if you do so without using the bases on the loop. So you just clip leed to the valve.

This is the reverse situation, in the case of the filament supply of the uTracer on low voltages at least the inductors in the AVO loop system mystify Ronald's heater design, whereas it works perfectly without the in ductors in the loop.

Regarding the CV57, I have forced a break from it. It seems rediculous to me now that anyone might have ever suggested it could be used as a px25. I am sure I did read that but just doesn't make any sense at all.

It was one of those Bitish companies in the south of England. I don't wish to name names. But a pretty cheap trick to sell some old valves with zero demand otherwise, by implying px25 type qualities. That is the way a conman works.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Just made my uTracer wireless (BlueTooth)...

http://tinyurl.com/pm7tufo

No HV connected to my lap/desk-top any more. Feel a lot safer!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nice one, I hope Ronald incorporates this into his next PCB.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Andrew wrote:Nice one, I hope Ronald incorporates this into his next PCB.
He's bought some of the same boards to play with. He'll probably write it up shortly....
Balle Clorin
New User

Post by Balle Clorin »

I juts bought a utracer kit.
Anyone know where I can get the the (safe )mini banana plugs and sockets to use for the utracer tube connections (simular to what Ronald and other use). Where can I get a box. I live in Europe.

best regards
Balle
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Balle Clorin
New User

Post by Balle Clorin »

many thanks,
Balle Clorin
New User

Post by Balle Clorin »

Hi Paul Barker, where did you get your uctracer cabinet box, I want to use the same...

Best regards
Balle
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It's what electricians call an AB (Adaptable Box). They are available in plastic or metal. Safe isolation. the plastic ones are IP Rated against water and particle ingress to the level they can be used outside.

You go into electrical factors and ask for an adaptable box there are various sizes. IP rating IP56.

IP Rating Chart

Here is an online electrical supplier.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW ... tAodGicAlA
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
thomas
Old Hand

#148 Re: Building the uTracer

Post by thomas »

Well I've finally made a start on the uTracer kit I bought last year. It took me a while to get past the first paragraph on page one! (COM port? serial adaptor? FTDI? eh?! eyes glaze over etc) After staring at that little lot for a few months, Google was my friend with them.
I've gotten a windows 'pc' from my daughter, hideous device it is too. I only let it have internet access for a few moments here and there as I think it just seems to fill itself up with garbage…. )
I'm following the (excellent) manual religiously, and testing each stage as I go along, as per instructions.
The only snag I've had so far is managing to solder together a bc548 and an irf1404 where I shouldn't have- the holes on the board are rather close in this one spot. No magic smoke when I tested that section, but no heater current either! Fortunately I spotted my error and have cleaned up the board, and the heater section now heats, but I'm wondering if I should replace those parts in any case…. any ideas anyone?!
I've got myself an ip56 plastic enclosure a la Paul on order, and am looking forward to testing that shed load of mis-matched Russky 6sn7's I've acquired…..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#149 Re: Building the uTracer

Post by pre65 »

thomas wrote: I've gotten a windows 'pc' from my daughter, hideous device it is too. I only let it have internet access for a few moments here and there as I think it just seems to fill itself up with garbage…. )
Perhaps it's windows update trying to do it's job ?

On all my "spare" PCs I switch them on now and then to let them update in peace. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
thomas
Old Hand

#150 Re: Building the uTracer

Post by thomas »

pre65 wrote:
thomas wrote: I've gotten a windows 'pc' from my daughter, hideous device it is too. I only let it have internet access for a few moments here and there as I think it just seems to fill itself up with garbage…. )
Perhaps it's windows update trying to do it's job ?

On all my "spare" PCs I switch them on now and then to let them update in peace. :wink:
Umm yes but no but....I'm sure you're right....but all the adverts it sees....and it keeps asking, nay demanding, to be 'upgraded' and thereby possibly 'not working' with the two things I've got it for, audiotester and utracer..... :?