Balanced Power Supply

What people are working on at the moment
Neal
Shed dweller

#196 Re: Balanced Power Supply

Post by Neal »

Mark, not wishing to open this can of worms again as we beat this to death back in 2006. What you seems to be saying is the midrange is not pleasing to listen to… :? Yours is a definition of euphonic I’m not familiar with! :D It doesn’t mean rose tinted or coloured it means pleasing/enjoyable to listen to which it is, well, for me anyway.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#197 Re: Balanced Power Supply

Post by IslandPink »

My understanding of euphonic was that it is enhancing or altering the sound in a way which makes it more pleasing to the ear. I'll have to go and check the definition if that's wrong ! My point therefore is that the midrange tone the 103 / 103R / 103D does is just properly reproducing what's there.
I have a rule in my 'books' that tonal colour and soundstage depth are the two HiFi attributes you can't fake. I tend to judge a lot of what I've done on speakers by asking - "is the tonal colour stronger or weaker than it was before ?" . In fact this rule applies to a lot of other stuff like capacitor swaps, or the work we did on the DHT filament supplies.

ps. agreed, I will spare us the classic 103 vs HiFi debate ! :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#198 Re: Balanced Power Supply

Post by IslandPink »

ps. Course I should add that I'm not opposed to things being euphonic, either - HiFi should be for yourself and your tastes.
pps. I am quite familiar with the 103R vs. Kontra B in a very good system , since my buddy Len on the coast has those two carts which he alternates about every 2 or 3 months in his system ( SME 312, Garrard 401+Nick's power supply, Icon phono, SE amps, Tannoy DC10-T's ) . He gets bored or frustrated with either cartridge after a few weeks and has to swap to the other one !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#199 Re: Balanced Power Supply

Post by Neal »

BMU started buzzing the other evening (Sunday) must have been DC on the mains...it’s been fine since.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.